January 7, 2011 3:06:39 PM

hi i have a packard bell ixtreme x6620
windows 7 64 bit
6gb ddr2 ram
1tb hdd
intel quad core q8300
nvidia gt220
acer g43t-am motherboard

i get lag on some games and been told that its the card. i want to upgrade to an ati or something like that but i dont know which ones are compatable and stuff like that so if you could recomend some that would be great thanks.

More about : graphics card upgrade

a c 186 U Graphics card
January 7, 2011 4:37:58 PM

The most likely limiting factor is the built-in powersupply, most OEM systems are built with an adequate unit but it usually has little extra capacity for upgrading.
Pop the side panel off and take a look at the rating label, we'll need to know total Wattage and, very importaintly the Amperage on the +12 volt line or lines.
As it stands the most I would recommend is the HD4670 or 5670, neither requires an external power lead to function and both draw a similar amount of jiuce- about 65 Watts at maximum load.
We'll also need to know: Budget and the monitor resolution to give accurate recommendations.
The GT220 is about halfway down, left hand side:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-rade...
January 7, 2011 7:56:54 PM

k2xblazer said:
hi i have a packard bell ixtreme x6620
windows 7 64 bit
6gb ddr2 ram
1tb hdd
intel quad core q8300
nvidia gt220
acer g43t-am motherboard

i get lag on some games and been told that its the card. i want to upgrade to an ati or something like that but i dont know which ones are compatable and stuff like that so if you could recomend some that would be great thanks.

Hi.....Same setup here, although no lag. I looked into the GTS250 as a recommended upgrade BUT possibly needs power from the PSU. If you look inside your setup you`ll probably only find a single spare molex and some SATA power connectors. It can be connected using a PATCH LEAD but you`ll run out of power as the basic Power Supply is only 250W and not many amps. In fact, the Day I went to purchase the GTS I changed my mind and went slightly higher and purchased the GTX460GS 1GB and a new 800W 32A Modular power supply. The PSU was a tight fit being 4cm longer, and I found it difficult to remove the PC casing (behind the motherboard?) But pulling off the CPU fan horn- it just unclips with a little pressure? allowed enough space to cram the psu in. There is only a fingers width between the DVD and PSU. The GTX460GS also requires TWO openings at the rear(watch your fingers when removing the plates- sharp die-cut edges) You`ll also need to move the Wireless card down because this particular Graphic card is about 4 times bigger? Then I had to connect TWO six pin power cables from the PSU to the GPU and then correctly install the Supplied CDRom drivers then the latest from nvidia. works a treat now. You`ll see your WE-Index rise from 5.6 to 5.9. Nothing really, however 5.9 is (apparently) the highest mark for a non SSD Hard drive. but the Sub Score for the GPU went from 5.6 to 7.3 and all other scores above 7.2. I`m not changing to a SSD just to get another 7.2?
Related resources
January 7, 2011 8:15:25 PM

okay 1920 1080 is the screen res
budget is bout £130
this is off the power supply
input 220-240v-/5.15A 50HZ
output 250w (+12v1 & +12v2=180w max
January 7, 2011 8:49:22 PM

k2xblazer wrote :

*compatable and stuff like that?*

If anyone has the direct link to the this PC`s motherboard which is the Acer G43T-AM V2.0 Then surely the Motherboard manual could help in future decisions regarding upgrades?
January 7, 2011 9:12:23 PM

charic said:
k2xblazer wrote :

*compatable and stuff like that?*

If anyone has the direct link to the this PC`s motherboard which is the Acer G43T-AM V2.0 Then surely the Motherboard manual could help in future decisions regarding upgrades?

I think to be honest, If you upgrade the PSU then your choices will be greater. As it is the limiting factor. I think the GTS 250 requires a minimum of 400W supply, so thats out of the question with the PSU already fitted. Due to the limitation of the PSU and the boards PCI-E slot power limitation, you may not see any difference, if you only take the next level card in the series, and for so much cost and time spent in that conversion. so whatever graphics card you decide on, factor in the cost of replacing that GPU, and really, the rest of the setup on this system good. I settled on an 800Watt supply, but I wont be further upgrading this system, as I`m more than happy with its performance now.
January 7, 2011 9:21:17 PM

You will def need a PSU upgrade. You dont, or shouldn't need more than a decent 600 watt unit. Stay with major brands, OCZ, Corsair, Antec, Seasonic etc. Stay away from house brands or off brands.
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2011 9:41:08 PM

With a 250w PSU you could upgrade to a low end video card. I would recommend either the HD 5450 or HD 5570. See this review on the HD 5570 that also shows performance and PSU loads for the HD 5450 as well.

http://www.techspot.com/review/245-ati-radeon-hd-5570/p...

If you want to learn a little more about how to upgrade your card - including system limitations and how to select a card - you can check out upgradevideocards.com. They also give specific model and card recommendations on low end (non-gaming) systems and info on brand and vendor selection.

http://www.upgradevideocards.com/nongaming.html

For a broader look at cards for different budget levels, you can read the THG article on that subject for areas related to your budget levels:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

Once you have better narrowed down what you want, the people here can help make sure it will work with your system and perhaps recommend some good deals.
January 7, 2011 9:47:14 PM

Go with a 5670 and you probably wont have to upgrade the psu it will be a huge step up from your gt220.
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2011 11:44:49 PM

I would not go with a 5670 on your existing power supply. The review linked below shows a very bare system with that card - and with only 512 MB of memory not the 1 GB version - using 243w at full load. I would not use it with a 250w PSU even if it was a good brand like Corsair and most likely OPs is not. Especially not with only 15 amps on 12v leg.

http://www.techspot.com/review/240-ati-radeon-hd-5670/p...

The HD 5450 I recommended above will actually be slower and the 5570 will only provide an increase of approximately 15 to 50% depending on the game. To go for more, you will need t upgrade the PSU as well.

You could get a decent replacement PSU starting from about $25 after rebate plus $2 shipping (this is a real deal - don't know holw long it will be around) for a Corsair 430w low end Builder Series PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Note that it has 28 amps on the 12v leg and that I don't know if it will fit in your case. The PSU meets ATX 2.01 specifiations - I just don't know what your system requires. If you upgrade tothis PSU, you could go with a better video card - perhaps a GTS 450 like this one for $99 after rebate and with free shipping:

January 8, 2011 10:24:39 AM

hm well i managed to get hold of my brothers old gaming pc could you tell me if i could use this psu (Q-TEC psu 400w dual fan gold) thx
a c 186 U Graphics card
January 8, 2011 11:05:03 AM

Probably not, it's a very old design so I doubt it has the required motherboard connectors besides, the 400W is peak, not sustained, so it's not going to be much better than the installed supply.
It is said many times here: Do n't skimp on the PSU, it's the foundation of a stable system and really cheap units can wreck the whole computer if they fail. Corsair, Seasonic, OCZ, PC Power and Cooling, Antec and FSP come highly recommended and 500Watts from any of those makers will be plenty-although if you find a 600 Watter at a discount so much the better :) 

Assuming the case is standard you'll be able to get a decent PSU and reach to a
HD5750 and still stay under £130 delivered, put a bit more in and the far superior HD5770 comes within reach.

A few places I have shopped at : Overclockers, Dabs, CCL, Scan, Misco, Microdirect, Pixmania and Ebuyer.
January 8, 2011 11:22:56 AM

hmm okay your right it is really old ok would u be able to give me a link to amazon for a good psu and card (prob is with the ati cards they take up 2 slots at the back and where mine is theres no more slots above it)
January 8, 2011 1:22:00 PM

nope i take that back as i forgot the card goes upside down lol
a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2011 11:03:00 PM

So are you saying you have room for a two slot card or not? You need to be more clear.

And I already gave you links above to a reasonable PSU and video card. But okay - if you want to pay more at amazon here is the same PSU at amazon for 60% more:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

And a similar graphics card ( 2 slots) for 30% more at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-PCI-Express-Graphics...

But if you are in UK, how does that help you more than the links on newegg? And providing some feedback on those would help others focus in more on what you want.
January 13, 2011 10:32:19 AM

yes i do
a b U Graphics card
January 14, 2011 3:17:27 PM

Still looking for more feeback K2. The ball is in your court.
a c 186 U Graphics card
January 15, 2011 11:22:10 AM

Good, strong PSU and the HD5770 is a substantial upgrade from the existing graphics.
This PSU is a little less expensive but still plenty for your needs ;)  :

But are you in the UK or USA? Prices are very different depending on which side of the pond you live on.

January 15, 2011 11:33:25 AM

ahh thanks and yea im in the uk
a c 186 U Graphics card
January 15, 2011 11:51:03 AM

Time to do a little shopping.
Have a look at the sites I listed earlier, they all have specials that can help save those hard to earn pounds.
Try to stick with a good PSU maker, 500W from those I named will be plenty and do not worry too much about the card manufacturer, keep an eye on the cooler (will it fit in my case) and price.
And do not worry if something goes awry, you can return any item bought over the 'net within 7 days under the Distaince Selling Regulations ;) 
January 15, 2011 12:15:03 PM

ok will do thanks for your help
!