Picture problem Nikon/CF card.

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 9, 2005 3:00:08 PM

Hello

On Sunday I was out taking some nice photos with a Nikon 8700 which I
borrowed from a friend.

After 2 hours, the camera behaved bad.

Take a look at:

http://www.bedogged.net/NikonMess.htm

The pictures are just parts of the whole photo, but you can see the effect.
The bottom one is ok, and the top one is taken 5 seconds later with the same
settings.

I took the camera inside, and after 2 hours inside it came back to normal
again.

Its quite clear that it was the cold weather (-2) that casued it, but what I
would like to find out if its the camera or the card, and if this can be
accepted as normal ?

I was the weekend before using my Minoltas z2 and A2 camera in minus 10 for
several hours without any problems .

thanks for reading...

/Folke
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 3:00:09 PM

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 12:00:08 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "Folke
Wallberg" <Folke.Wallberg@cern.ch> wrote:

>On Sunday I was out taking some nice photos with a Nikon 8700 which I
>borrowed from a friend.
>
>After 2 hours, the camera behaved bad.
>
>Take a look at:
>
>http://www.bedogged.net/NikonMess.htm
>

>The pictures are just parts of the whole photo, but you can see the effect.
>The bottom one is ok, and the top one is taken 5 seconds later with the same
>settings.
>
>I took the camera inside, and after 2 hours inside it came back to normal
>again.
>
>Its quite clear that it was the cold weather (-2) that casued it, but what I
>would like to find out if its the camera or the card, and if this can be
>accepted as normal ?
>
>I was the weekend before using my Minoltas z2 and A2 camera in minus 10 for
>several hours without any problems .

First, I would try reformatting the card in the camera, and then
another card to determine if the problem is with the camera or the
card. Was the battery low by any chance? If you loose power while the
camera is writing to the card, anything may be possible.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
!