Problems with drivers for NVidia and win 7 64

trysil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
Hi!
Just built myself a new PC with win 7 and a NVidia GTX 460 graphics card. Ran fine for a few days but today I started to get trouble. When trying to run games (eg Just Cause 2, Empire Earth 3) the game crashes and I get a message that the drivers for the graphics card have crashes and have been "reset". I made sure to install the latest drivers from NVidia but the roblem remains. I can run normal apps like firefox and so, but sometime I get the same result fro them.

Any solutions?

/T

My HW

Processor: Intel i5 quad
4 GByte memory
GTX 460 with 1 Gbyte.
Windows 7 64 bit

trysil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
PS. Would you recomend to completely uninstall the graphics card before installing the latest drivers?

Always use the latest drivers from the Nvidia website. Did you try to option for a "Clean Install"?

What type of power supply do you have? Are both of the power supply connectors plugged in to the video card?

trysil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
Just remebered.
When I bought the memory (2x2 GByte) I bought the PC3-10666 but the motherboard supports the PC3-10600. They told me it would work okay. Can that be the problem?

/T

Having the wrong memory could easily be the problem. You should check your memory voltage, which should be 1.65 volts or less. Older DDR3 memory is rated for higher voltages, but Core i5, i7 systems require memory that is 1.65 volts or less.

Check in your manual for the motherboard. See if the memory you bought is listed in the Qualified Vendor List. Look for the EXACT part number in the list. If your memory is listed there, then you should be good to go.

trysil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
Did the memory scan (press F8 at start-up and select "repair" and Windows started without any problem. Haven't tested any graphics heavy apps yet. Ordered a new
set of memory. Hope that is the problem.

And by the way... There was no "Quallified vendor list" in the manual. :-(

For MSI, you need to go to their website and look under "Test Reports". What type of memory do you have?

I found out about the memory voltage issue the hard way after ordering some DDR3 memory, then finding out it was designed for an older system at 1.7 volts. I could get it to work only by overclocking it, but over the long run it would have likely burned out my CPU eventually.

I will always test both vendors and nVidia drivers on desktops.....but generally use nVidias.

But using NVidia driver on a high end laptop rather than vendor's can be an invitation to grief....many hi end laptop vendors customize the driver and not only will nVidia's generic disable features but you can have stability / performance issues and even damage GPU

TRENDING THREADS