Closed Solved

Upgrade my Accelero GTX 280 SLI

CPU : AMD 955 (May upgrade to x6... "maybe")
MOBO: msi 980
RAM : ddr3 1333 ripjaw 16gb
PSU : thermaltake toughpower 1kw

Was wanting to upgrade to two 460's to make my system "up to date" in a sense.........thats all i have :kaola: :D
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade accelero
  1. Very much a side grade going from GTX280 SLI to GTX460 SLI, I'd suggest going for something else.

    Whats your budget and your monitors native resolution?
  2. +1 omgitzfatal.
    Right now you're not missing much without DX11-apart from a sometimes crippling drop in framerates. So unless you're having severe heating problems I'd stick with the GTX280s'.
  3. Rustyy117 said:
    Very much a side grade going from GTX280 SLI to GTX460 SLI, I'd suggest going for something else.

    Whats your budget and your monitors native resolution?



    Well, i was gonna try to sell the 280s for around 130ish give or take.

    My monitor is 1920x1080.. and i guess my price range would be two top of the line 460's... like 400 bucks or so right? Im tryna not make the same mistake i did w/ the 280's..... i bought them then like 4 months later BAM 275/285 came out. No more market on the 280.... I was like darn the luck!
  4. Well even the best (highly overclocked) GTX460's won't be much of an upgrade at all, Maybe wait until the GTX560's come out.

    If you feel you have to upgrade then maybe 2 x HD6950's or 2 x GTX570's, although both options are well over $400

    Or a single GTX580 will give you roughly the same performance as your GTX280's and you could add another later on.
  5. coozie7 said:
    +1 omgitzfatal.
    Right now you're not missing much without DX11-apart from a sometimes crippling drop in framerates. So unless you're having severe heating problems I'd stick with the GTX280s'.



    Yea, DX11 would be an upgrade. I can control my FPS w/ the settings. As far as cooling, the cards have the accelero fan's on both. My case is an Antec 1200, so i have fans out the wazoo, and my CPU is has the corsair h50. The gtx 280's themselves are heaters, but not to bad.

    My secondary pc consists of

    mobo: m3n72-d am2+
    cpu : x2 550 black
    ram : xms2 ddr2-800
    gpu : gtx 460 1gb gigabyte
    psu : 750 thermaltake toughpower
    monitor : 1680 x 1050

    maybe i can sell one of my 280's and use that money to buy a second and swap the gpus.... :o
  6. Rustyy117 said:
    Well even the best (highly overclocked) GTX460's won't be much of an upgrade at all, Maybe wait until the GTX560's come out.

    If you feel you have to upgrade then maybe 2 x HD6950's or 2 x GTX570's, although both options are well over $400

    Or a single GTX580 will give you roughly the same performance as your GTX280's and you could add another later on.



    Mobo is only nvidia compatible for x2 gpu's @ x16x16x0 ,but has room for x3 x16x8x8
    hrm 560's eh? has there been news on them? I read the "gtx 595" article on fuddys... outrageous model! I doubt its gonna fly to well.
  7. Best answer
    I don't have an ETA on the GTX560's but rumours have been going around for awhile now.

    Your plan of selling a 280 buying another 460 and swapping the GPU's sounds like the most cost effective way to get DX11 support and not loose performance, although I completely agree with coozie7, DX11 is nothing special at the moment, it seems to cripple performance and adds very little in terms of visuals. Unigene Heaven 2.1 looks good though, but thats just a benchmark.
  8. Jan 25th is the latest ETA on the GTX560's,
  9. Two GTX 460 as already stated isn't going to be any thing close to upgrading. The GTX 560 will be faster as expected but I am wondering if you will still be left wanting due to the margins. Good luck with your choice and feel free to continue posting here when ever you like.
  10. Lol, thanks. I am going to be deployed in Kuwait till mid February timeframe. That should give me enough time to decide what i am going to do. If the 560 has a good price on it, then i may just go that route and sell both my 280's at a low price. I appreciate all the advice on making a worth while decision. I will keep ya posted.
  11. Good luck with your tour of duty and be careful as always and be sure to never let your guard down even in that country.
  12. Best answer selected by BroHamBone.
  13. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Graphics Product