CPU possibilities for nforce4 chipset

Heaton89

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
I think I'm bottlenecking my new 460gtx soc edition with my old phenom 8550 processor triple core but my frame rate on wow for eg is like 30 .... 99percent its the CPU bottlenecking. Anywhoo, any advice welcome - after some possibilities for my nforce 4 chipset mobo budget is 100 to 120 pound for a new CPU. Not sure myself on checking if a processor is compatible with my board so you guys are my only hope!

£120 will get you
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd-athlon-ii-x3-450-rana-triple-core-s-am3-32ghz-15mb-cache-ht-4000mhz-95w-retail
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-m4a78lt-m-le-amd-760g-s-am3-ddr3-1800(oc)-sata-3gb-s-sata-raid-microatx-onboard-graphics
check out scan and othe uk sites, but even on scan there were about 10 Amd770 chipset boards
then Ebay the old chip and board to offset the cost, your 460 will be fine in there,
Wow's cpu driven so stick the new triplecore in and clock to around 3.2GHz, I roll at 3.5 on my x3 435 unlocked to four cores and WoWs great for me
Moto

The chipset itself will support any AMD Athlon 64 and later CPU, since HyperTransport is used to connect the CPU and chipset, and HyperTransport is backwards-compatible. However, your motherboard itself may not support certain CPUs, so you will need to tell us the make and model of your motherboard so we can tell you what CPUs it supports.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
If im reading HP's website correctly , your motherboard only supports the original Phenoms and Anthlons but no mention of any recent Phenom II's or Anthlon II's.

might want to hold on a bit till you find out if they support phenom II's.

Are you 100% sure that's your motherboard? There are many versions of the M2N78-LA, and they all are slightly different.

1. The M2N78-LA (Viola) that you linked is a Socket AM2+ unit with the NVIDIA GeForce 8200 chipset. It only supports original 65 nm Phenom CPUs. The best CPUs you could put in this board are the 125-watt version of the Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition (2.6 GHz quad-core) or the Athlon X2 7850 Black Edition, which is a 2.8 GHz dual-core CPU. This unit has a brownish-yellow circuit board.

2. The M2N78-LA (Violet) is a Socket AM2+ motherboard with the GeForce 9100 chipset. It has a green circuit board and similar CPU support to the Viola board you linked to.

3. The M2N78-LA (Violet3) is a Socket AM3 motherboard with the GeForce 9100 chipset. It has a green circuit board and looks like the original Violet board, but it supports DDR3 memory and all Socket AM3 CPUs rated at 95 watts and less, with the exception of the Phenom II X6 series.

4. The M2N78-LA (Violet6) is a Socket AM3 motherboard with the GeForce 9100 chipset. It is identical to the Violet3 board except the bottom PCIe x1 slot is swapped out for a conventional PCI slot. CPU support is the same as the Violet3.

If you do have the yellow-brown M2N78-LA Viola board, you are limited to original Phenom-class CPUs, the best of which I listed above.