Put an OEM cpu on a retail mother board

trannghi7707

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
I bought a HP desktop long ago and now i want to upgrade it, and i decided to buy a new mother board and a new graphic card. I have a Phenom II x4 9150e (OEM) will it work with the new motherboard ??? i will buy a Foxconn A76ML-K

Solution

OEM CPUs typically only differ from "retail" CPUs in the fact that they were sold in large batches in plastic trays and without a factory-supplied heatsink as opposed to "retail" CPUs that are sold singly in decorated paperboard boxes and bundled with a heatsink. Occasionally you get an OEM CPU that has a clock speed/cache size/core count that is not seen in a "retail" CPU, but that CPU would very likely still work in any aftermarket motherboard that supports similar CPUs.

That OEM CPU will work in...

OEM CPUs typically only differ from "retail" CPUs in the fact that they were sold in large batches in plastic trays and without a factory-supplied heatsink as opposed to "retail" CPUs that are sold singly in decorated paperboard boxes and bundled with a heatsink. Occasionally you get an OEM CPU that has a clock speed/cache size/core count that is not seen in a "retail" CPU, but that CPU would very likely still work in any aftermarket motherboard that supports similar CPUs.

That OEM CPU will work in that Foxconn motherboard. The A76ML-K supports every Socket AM2, AM2+, and AM3 CPU produced with the exception of the Phenom II X6 series and any CPU with a TDP greater than 95 watts. The 9150e is a 65-watt AM2+ CPU and shows up on the CPU support list for the A76ML-K.

One thing you may have trouble with is running your HP's operating system on the new motherboard. OEMs get a very steep discount on Windows pricing from Microsoft in exchange for installing Windows on a large number of machines *plus* installing a version of Windows that cannot be transferred to other machines. MS enforces the "cannot be moved to other machines" part of the license deal by making OEM versions of Windows look for certain things in the motherboard's BIOS to ensure that the OS hasn't been installed on another machine. Replacing the motherboard changes the BIOS strings that Windows looks for and it will NOT activate. You will have to buy a new copy of Windows if you want to replace the motherboard on that machine and run Windows.

Solution