Trackpad pointer freezes while tab button is held down

RisingDragonfly

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
My computer is a ASUS G60 series notebook running Windows 7 x64. Every time I press tab, the pointer freezes. I'm using a Synaptics trackpad, I don't have a mouse available. If the pointer is already being moved about when I press tab, it takes a split second for the computer to realize. The pointer will still move around and then suddenly freeze. It will stay frozen until the tab button is released.

The problem was first ongoing for the first 15-20 minutes that I had realized it, and then went normal for a few minutes. Then it reverted back to the problem. Another 15-20 minutes passed and then again the problem seemed to resolve itself. I have a feeling, however, that it won't last.

In general, this may not seem like a big problem, but it's prohibiting me from playing one of my games.

Addition: It's been 20 minutes since I posted, and the pointer just started locking up again when I'd hold tab.

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Alot of the trackpad driver software has a function that disables the trackpad when your typing, preventing you from accidentally moving or 'clicking' on something by your thumb or wrist hitting the pad.

There should be a way to disable this in advanced settings of the mouse control panel.

Best thing for games is to get a mouse however - trackpads traditionally aren't great for fine control.

RisingDragonfly

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
I think you're right, because it's not just the tab key, it's any key I press that disables the trackpad, though I don't know why it has been toggling working and not.

I think what originally caused this was I was trying to update the driver, and foolishly looked online rather than choosing "Update Driver." I downloaded something from the synaptics site that included Scrybe, and then uninstalled the Scrybe part.

How do I fix this? I've looked through my Mouse Settings. I'm going to download an update to the driver from the ASUS site, and see how that goes. If I run into any problems, I'll post again.

Edit: It says I have a newer driver already installed. if I want to install the older version, I have to uninstall the other, but then I don't think my trackpad will work at all, and I don't have a mouse as a backup.

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
I just went through my synaptics driver on Win7 and can't find anything to disable it - It may be a built in 'feature' that can't be disabled. Try google'n it and see if there's a registry entry that can be modified to disable this behavior.

RisingDragonfly

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011
Google has not really been my friend through this--I can't find anything that will help.

I don't want to disable Synaptics though--I don't own a mouse, so if I disable Synaptics, I won't be able to do anything. I just want it to not disable the trackpad every time I click a key.