Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First Build, Opinion Needed, $1200-$1600, i7 2600k

Last response: in Systems
March 12, 2011 9:25:29 PM

I am new to the forum, friend recommended me. I am stuck and need some opinions on my build, any opinions, recommendations, etc will be much appreciated it. Doesn't matter what it is.

Approximate Purchase Date: 1-2 weeks
Budget Range: $1200-1600
System Usage: Gaming, AutoCAD, Inventor, Catia, etc.
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: None
Country of Origin: USA
Overclocking: Yes
SLI or Crossfire: Yes
Case: Cooler Master HAF X Link
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Link
Mobo: ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard Link
Harddrives: ?
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Link
Video Cards: EVGA 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB OR XFX HD-695A-CNFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB Link 1 Link 2
Power Supply: ?
CD/DVD/BR: ?

Additional Comments: Any information I left out please let me know and i'll provide it for you. I need a power supply, and I am not sure what I should get. Harddrives I am looking for one SSD some big enough to hold the OS and Program Files, then I need atleast 4 1TB harddrives, I am wanting to do the RAID where you have 2 main harddrives and 2 backup harddrives, not sure which one it is or what it's called but that's what I am looking to do. Then I just need a CD/DVD/BR drive, Blu-ray isn't necessary, but I would like a player atleast, but like I said it isn't necessary. Other than the blu-ray, just the best possible drive with a reasonable price. Everything else I have pretty much figured out, I realize these are probably the easy things to pick out but I actually find it harder to pick them then the other hardware lol. Also, if I could get an opinion on which graphics card you guys think I should use, would be great.

Thanks,
Lucky

Best solution

March 13, 2011 3:40:51 AM

The psu requirements are driven by the graphics configuration. In this case, a quality 650w psu will drive any single graphics card available today.
Quality psu's come from Corsair, Seasonic, PC P&C, Antec, and XFX to name a few.
Here is a gold certified Seasonic X650:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A 128gb SSD is a good size for the OS and apps. You can bo smaller, but larger SSD's perform better. You might want to wait a week or two to see what the Crucial C400 looks like, or the OCZ vertex 3. Expect to pay about $2+ per gb for a SSD.

For gaming, get the best graphics card you feel comfortable paying for. At 1080P the GTX560ti and 6950 are OK, and perform similarly, depending on the game. With a sandy bridge cpu, I would suggest a bit stronger, like a GTX570, 6970, or even a GTX580. Some apps can make use of the graphics card for computation. If you run one that can make use of CUDA, then go for the Nvidia card. Otherwise, you mostly get what you pay for, so don't sweat minor differences. I would also look for a card with a dual slot direct exhaust cooler. They keep the interior of your case cooler. Other coolers do well in open test beds, but they just dump heat into your case where case cooling has too deal with it. Not good, that heats up your cpu as well as the graphics card. I like EVGA and XFX for their warranty and service.

Is there a reason for such an expensive motherboard? Only if you were a competitive overclocker would that motherboard be appropriate.

You will want an aftermarket cooler.

Do you have a backup plan?
The value of raid-1 and it's variants like raid-5 is that you can recover from a drive failure quickly. It is for servers that can not tolerate any interruption.

Modern hard drives have a advertised mean time to failure on the order of 500,000+ hours. That is something like 50 years.

With raid-1 you are protecting yourself from specifically a hard drive failure. Not from other failures such as viruses, operator error,
malware, fire, theft, etc.
For that, you need external backup. If you have external backup, you do not need raid-1
March 13, 2011 4:39:26 AM

I plan on going to dual, or possibly triple graphics cards. I was thinking around 1000W if not more? Would I need 1000W or more? So I am assuming a 650W PSU wouldn't be strong enough. SSD wise I was thinking the same exact thing after looking for one for a while, I came to the same conclusion. I am pretty much just going to be doing gaming, autocad, inventor, catia, photoshop, etc, but nothing "too" major, just recreational things, and things for school. So with that said would going for the higher end graphics cards be worth my while, or no? Only reason I was going to go with the XFX ATI based graphics card is more graphics memory offered over the Nvidia card. Now I am not the smartest when it comes to computer but I assuming the ATI card would be better, correct? Reason I chose this motherboard, is because this is the only one I could find that support triple ATI/SLI, and could use both graphic cards instead of only Nvidia based cards. Also because it's very futuristic, has a lot of new features on it that are not as populated on other boards, if this really doesn't matter and I shouldn't worry about it, please give me your opinion. Backup wise, I was thinking of doing either RAID 10, or RAID 0, seeing that I wanted to do RAID 0+1 but that isn't supported by this board and not many boards I have looked at do. So I am either RAID 10 or RAID 0 probably.

Also, aren't both of those cards I was thinking about getting Dual-slot? And don't all Nvidia cards come with the CUDA technology?

IF I were to go with a "stronger" graphics card would a PNY GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB Link OR a EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB Link be kind've in the lines of what your talking about about when it comes to Nvidia?

AND for a ATI based graphics card a XFX HD-697A-CNFC Radeon HD 6970 2GB Link OR a Visiontek 900353 Radeon HD 6970 2GB Link

For a cooler I came to the conclusion on either the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Link OR COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 Link. If you have any better ones that you know of that you think I should use over either one of these please recommend them. I am trying to make this build pretty much perfect, cause I am trying to make it last me a long time lol.

Also this may be a dumb question, but since my motherboard is multi-GPU supportive, will I be able to use all of ATI cards abilities, like the Eyefinity, etc.
m
l
Related resources
March 13, 2011 5:05:29 PM

If you have a single monitor at 1920 x 1200 resolution or less, then a GTX580 will give you all the performance you can reasonably get. Multi cards may improve your FPS a bit in some games, but the added cost is a very poor return on investment.

If you will be using a 2560 x 1600 monitor,(about $1000) a GTX580 will do well, and adding a second will give you a modest improvement, but again, not much of a value.

If you are planning on triple monitor gaming, then plan on a dual card solution. Triple cards do not help much and are another poor value.

Over provisioning your graphics may seem like a good thing for bragging, but those who know better will have the opposite opinion.

A quality 850w psu will run dual GTX580 cards. More than 1000w is crazy.

Few motherboards that you might consider can't support dual cards in crossfire. Higher end cards will have paid the nvidia license to support sli. Check for that if you go Nvidia.

As to Nvidia vs. ati in graphics cards, realize that it is a very competitive marketplace. You mostly get what you pay for, and it is useless to anguish over differences at the same price level.

Any of the modern Nvidia cards will have CUDA capability.

If you use ati, yes, you can use the eyefinity capabilities. Remember though, there are limitations on what can be attached, and what adapters you might need. Read those specs carefully.

CM212 is a good value cooler.

Probably the best is prolimatech megahalems or noctua NH-D14
m
l
March 13, 2011 8:33:47 PM

Ok well, I do plan on using dual monitors, probably never triple. I don't plan on using triple graphics cards, but one day who knows, I might need to. I am not trying to use it for bragging rights, my pockets have a bottom as well lol, so it's definitely not for that. I should be able to get away with using 850w - 950w power supply then? Any you would recommend? I think I'm going to stick with my motherboard just because I already have it, and it's hard to find a website with them instock. So I don't want to send it back and get a different one and regret it lol. I'll definitely keep those two coolers in mind, but probably use the CM212 cooler for now, and if I find the want or need to upgrade i'll keep those two in mind.
m
l
March 13, 2011 8:54:16 PM

That Asus board is a total hose job imo. With your budget you might as well get the #1 1155 mobo out there atm. This board down below is the o/c champion for that cpu, not to mention like that Asus it runs dual gpu's @ 16x & 16x, and tri cards @ 8x. That board should be showing back up on newegg any day now.

http://www.excaliberpc.com/601478/gigabyte-ga-p67a-ud7-... $321.84
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7-B3 Intel P67 LGA 1155 ATX Intel Motherboard
m
l
March 13, 2011 10:07:48 PM

Why_Me said:
That Asus board is a total hose job imo. With your budget you might as well get the #1 1155 mobo out there atm. This board down below is the o/c champion for that cpu, not to mention like that Asus it runs dual gpu's @ 16x & 16x, and tri cards @ 8x. That board should be showing back up on newegg any day now.

http://www.excaliberpc.com/601478/gigabyte-ga-p67a-ud7-... $321.84
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7-B3 Intel P67 LGA 1155 ATX Intel Motherboard

Didn't even know that existed, lol. Why is the asus board a "hose job" to you exactly?
m
l
March 13, 2011 10:30:05 PM

luckychalmz said:
Didn't even know that existed, lol. Why is the asus board a "hose job" to you exactly?

For the fact that Gigabyte board offers everything the Asus board does but for a lot cheaper. That and it's beat that Asus in every head to head review in regards to o/c.
m
l
March 13, 2011 10:32:51 PM

luckychalmz said:
Ok well, I do plan on using dual monitors, probably never triple. I don't plan on using triple graphics cards, but one day who knows, I might need to. I am not trying to use it for bragging rights, my pockets have a bottom as well lol, so it's definitely not for that. I should be able to get away with using 850w - 950w power supply then? Any you would recommend? I think I'm going to stick with my motherboard just because I already have it, and it's hard to find a website with them instock. So I don't want to send it back and get a different one and regret it lol. I'll definitely keep those two coolers in mind, but probably use the CM212 cooler for now, and if I find the want or need to upgrade i'll keep those two in mind.

I think you can safely use aa quality 850-950w psu.
My short list of quality psu's include Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, PC P&C, and Antec.

How about the PC P&C silencer 910, silver rated?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
March 14, 2011 2:29:17 AM

Why_Me said:
For the fact that Gigabyte board offers everything the Asus board does but for a lot cheaper. That and it's beat that Asus in every head to head review in regards to o/c.

It's only like 30 bucks cheaper? Wouldn't really consider that to be alot, and I'm not trying to overclock the *** out of my processor, probably just to like 4ghz or a little more.
m
l
March 14, 2011 2:44:53 AM

luckychalmz said:
It's only like 30 bucks cheaper? Wouldn't really consider that to be alot, and I'm not trying to overclock the *** out of my processor, probably just to like 4ghz or a little more.

If that's the case, then the $155 Asrock extreme4 should do you just fine. :) 

This board down below will be back on the shelves including @ newegg within the next week or two along with the rest of the 1155 mobo's.

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-P67-EX4&tit... $153.99
ASRock P67 Extreme4 LGA1155/ Intel P67/ DDR3/ Quad SLI & Quad CrossFireX/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard - P67 EXTREME4

http://www.asrock.com/news/events/201102ex/warranty.htm... <----- Look for the B3 Stepping Chipset Logo/Sticker on the new boards

http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/article/1000116#axzz1... <---Review on that Asrock motherboard after the latest bios update

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1098/pg2/asrock-e... <---Review on that Asrock motherboard after the latest bios update

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4080/welcome-to-sandy-bri... <--- Review before the latest bios...and it still smoked the Asus and Gigabyte boards :) 

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P67%20Extre... <----- ASRock P67 Extreme4 Motherboard
m
l
March 14, 2011 3:33:07 AM

I see your point, I have a while until I am going to order all my stuff, so I will give it some thought and look around before I make my final decision. Thank you for all of your guys input.
m
l
April 5, 2011 11:38:39 AM

Best answer selected by luckychalmz.
m
l
!