why are web pictures downloading slow?

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 8, 2005 12:03:05 PM

Though it wasn't a priority I wonder if there's something I can do
about this apparent weakness of my new laptop. Admittedly it's about
the cheapest new one money can buy (£450), but it does most things
very well including recording my guitar, playing DVD films. It's a
Fujitsu-Simens Amilo, 1500mhz.
Is it just that I've become used to seeing boradband speeds in
internet cafes and libraries, or is there something about the computer,
possible upgradable, that makes for pictures, specifically photos on
websites transferring to the computer slowly. In the ten days I've
owned it I have only used about one fifth or less of the memory for
software and copied CDs, and even demanding taks like recording the
guitar seem to use a tiny fraction fo the RAM, so I don't think it's
short-changed there. Because it handles the DVDs - and games, not that
I play them really - I was surprised that these photos were downloading
slowly.
Most of its slots are USB, if that helps, regarding any possible
add-on.
I don't really regard this as a problem as such, because I don't
really use the internet, but if there's a fuss-free way round it that'd
be a good bonus. If I had broadband would it merely be that my general
connection would be faster but that the photos would still be pretty
slow?
Any tips are welcome.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 8, 2005 4:14:46 PM

gerryhandke@hotmail.com wrote:
>If I had broadband would it merely be that my general
>connection would be faster but that the photos would still be pretty
>slow?

I take it you currently have dialup? Do you have any idea what kinds
of dialup speeds you are currently achieving?

If you don't have broadband, definitely it will speed up your whole
experience. Pictures are the most bandwidth-intensive, so that's why
they are so slow. They'll still be the slowest thing you download,
but they'll be (whatever) 40 times as fast.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 8, 2005 7:06:50 PM

If you're using dial-up then that's the reason. Dial-up connections are bad
for ungodly slow downloads of webpage content (espacially pictures). Get
Broadband.
a b D Laptop
April 9, 2005 10:30:35 AM

Seeing as you've been happy to put me straight about this, and thanks,
Broadband I'll get, perhaps you could have a look over my most recent
computer problem below. It beginsd with my second posting on that
topic and then the initial one and a reply follow it. Thanks for any
input.

I have put the site driver on now, but things aren't very rational. At
first it didn't detect the printer, and then stumbling around in the
dark I got it to accept the printer was there by putting the XP built
in driver back on, rebooting and then running the site's full driver
software again, which I stored on CD so I could wipe it all off the
hard drive if necessary. Now what happens is that the computer will
print out from, for example, Word or Publisher, but using the 970cxi
driver, not the 970c series one which is what I got fron the site. The
970c series one appears to start to print but in fact gives up after a
couple of lines and ejects the paper as if finished. It might seem
like I've been a bit irrational myself, but things didn't proceed in
any sensible way as far as the installation goes, so I just tried to
salvage it in the way I've described.
What I can do now is put the 970c series toolbox on, ask it to print
a text page - without doing this it won't talk to the printer - and
from then on I use the 970cxi sriver from whatever program I'm printing
from. I also seem to have to turn the printer on *after* the computer
is all fully on with Windows running. If I put the printer on first no
printing can be done.
If I delete the 970cxi driver now - in as far as my attempts will
allow this, as there always seems to be traces of it somewhere - will
the 970c series driver work? i.e. is this abandoned printing from the
970c series driver to do with driver conflict or something like that?
I also found that the 970c series driver wouldn't be able to check
how much ink was left in the cartridge - it couldn't communicate in
that direction. I remember this function used to work when i was
running the full software on my old computer.
Hope someone can help with this, bizarre as it might sound at times.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?lc=en&l...

> If you can, download the full feature drivers and follow the
instructions on
> the site.
>
> In brief, you unplug the printer, install the drivers, reboot, then
plug the
> printer in and it will auto detect and should work nicely for you.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Steven
>

> <gerryhandke@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Hope this isn't too long-winded - all help appreciated.
> > I have been using a Hewlett Packard Deskjet 970cxi printer for a
few
> > years with an old 486, with which it is fine if a bit slow. Now
I've
> > got a current model laptop (a Fujitsu-Siemens 1500 mhz, inexpensive
but
> > it does everything I need otherwise) which only has USB connector
> > slots. So I bought the cable, found the computer won't take the
old
> > software. This seems to be okay as there's a version of the driver
in
> > Windows. But having installed that I am having problems printing.
If
> > I try to print from Mircroft Works' Word or Publisher, it does
nothing,
> > no light blink or anything (I found the light did blink when i
> > experiemented with using the XP generic driver, but then it stopped
and
> > nothing else happned). I've tried the trouble shooter, and all
I've
> > found sometimes helps is to restart the computer: and this is my
key
> > clue, at a guess, when the computer has started up again suddenly
the
> > printing tasks start turning up in the printer, which suggests
things
> > are almost okay, but what's happening here? why does it need this?
> > (The troubleshooter regards this as the problem being solved - but
> > don't think so, because the next time I put the computer on another
day
> > or later in the day I'm back at square one.) I've tried
uninstalling
> > the printer software/ deleting the printer and then adding it
again,
> > but I've found that it doesn't delete everything anyway, so I've
been
> > doing it manually by finding the hp folder and deleting it (after
> > deleting the printer in the usual way). The cable I bought would
seem
> > to be okay.
> > I've tried connecting things up differently, both following the
> > manual's advice and not doing so (the latter because it's procedure
> > pertains to using the accompanying outmoded cd). I'm not out of
ink.
> > The printer works fine with the 486 still.
> > USB is enabled, with printing support, so it's not that. And the
> > port the printer is connected to is usb001. LPT1 is not relevant
is
> > it? There is no traditional parallel port or lead being used.
(This
> > printer has a parallel connection which necessitated buying a lead
with
> > usb at one end and parallel at the printer end.)
> > This isn't a case of having to reinstall Windows XP from scratch,
is
> > it? I mean, to be sure that all the old trace of HP software is
gone
> > so that the printer is connected before there's any software going
in?
> > I would prefer to put up with having to restart the computer than
do
> > that, so long winded and nerve-racking, plus I've put so much
software
> > and music on the computer in the last week that would be tedious
and
> > daunting to do again. I suspect this won't be necessary, that
there
> > must be a way round it.
> > I've looked at the HP site and wonder if the driver in Windows
was
> > faulty or something, or maybe there's just some line in a sys or
ini
> > file somewhere that can be tweaked. My next step is downloading
it's
> > driver, but I fear it may be what I've got.
> > I would be extremely grateful for a clued-up person's input. If
you
> > need me to answer any thing before you can know what to say, go
ahead.
> > I've looked at other people's questions in these groups but their
> > problems were different.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 10, 2005 2:54:11 AM

> [...]
>>> gone so that the printer is connected before there's any software
>>> going in? I would prefer to put up with having to restart the
>>> computer than do that, so long winded and nerve-racking, plus I've
>>> put so much software and music on the computer in the last week
>>> that would be tedious and daunting to do again. I suspect this
>>> won't be necessary, that there must be a way round it.
>>> I've looked at the HP site and wonder if the driver in Windows was
>>> faulty or something, or maybe there's just some line in a sys or ini
>>> file somewhere that can be tweaked. My next step is downloading
>>> it's driver, but I fear it may be what I've got.
>>> I would be extremely grateful for a clued-up person's input. If
>>> you need me to answer any thing before you can know what to say, go
>>> ahead. I've looked at other people's questions in these groups but

Review this site for fixing borked XP printer installations:
http://www.coribright.com/Windows/