Sapphire hd 4890 overheating

Gurak

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
Hi, well, I have a 4890 thats its running really hot, about 75-80 ºC idle, and under load got to110, fan seems to be working fine, no OC, was playing before I noticed it and my pc shut down, still working, cant play games ofc, maybe I should change the heatsink/fan?? thanks

Gurak

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
no, i havent change anything, last change was the hd 4890 about a year ago, and after the first shut down i cleaned everything, took the heatsink off and put some new paste (artic silver 5), the card didnt have much dust, and the PSU is an ultra xpro 600w and its about 6 months older than the graphic card

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Do you have access to another PSU (that meets the 4890's requirements) that you could swap for troubleshooting? Poor PSU performance can affect GPUs in rather odd ways, like overheating. I am sure your PSU is running hot as well. The 4890 is known as a bit of a power hog itself.

Gurak

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
tried both ways, used my hd4890 in another pc and the same problem, also took the PSU and used it in my pc, so I guess its the GPU, is it worth it trying a new heatsink??, it seems like its a problem with the card itself

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If the GPU is still under warranty, try an RMA first. If not, you can try an aftermarket cooler, but that won't fix a defective card. You could have a defective heat/temp sensor and a new a GPU HSF won't resolve that.

Your other option is a new GPU. I would suggest a HD58XX or HD68XX or higher to replace the HD4890. These will perform better and run cooler.

Good luck!

drinkingcola86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
Ok when you took off the heat sink did you make sure its sitting evenly on your card. I have water blocks on mine and when 1 wasn't sitting completely on top of the gpu i would see temps like that. That is the first thing that i would check on that card because thats what its kind of sounding like.

Gurak

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
well, i was planning on buying 2 hd 6850 so i guess ill take this chance to do it, and yes im sure the HS is sitting evenly on my card, but thanks for the help

drinkingcola86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008

No problem. Wanted to give some help with what i've experienced.

Gurak

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
well... i found a good way to solve the prob while I wait for the cars, just underclocked the card and now my max temp is 80ºC... now i have another question.... default voltage is 1.053, im using ATI tray tools, and since I'm underclocking I was wondering if it's safe to use 0,923 voltage instead