Sign in with
Your question

Old fa_t

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 7, 2011 11:59:11 PM

I was in the process of upgrading my WIFE's pc with a new psu and gpu. I've done this before with other pc's but this time I ran into problems. The pc is a Gateway GT5426E with a 300w psu and an onboard gpu. The upgrade is for a little more gaming power. The card I have is a VisionTek 5750 1Gig, the power supply is a Rocketfish 500w unit. After the install I fired it up and at the beginning of the post, the monitor screen went black and the message , Media Shield ROM Bios 6.87 Nvidia 2006 Detecting array appeared and futher boot was impossible. I tried a restart with the hope of getting into the Bios without luck. I now have vertical lines and flicker in the backround . I removed all the new hardware and put things back to the previous setup. Fired it up and my wife when it did the same thing. Anyone out there who would like to save a marriage and pc please help! Ps In the install I neglected to remove old Nvidia drivers first, My Bad.

More about : question

a b Î Nvidia
January 8, 2011 1:02:50 AM

If you're getting screen tearing, lines, flickering, etc before you even reach the Windows load screen then there's definitely a hardware problem somewhere.

The "Rocketfish" power supply is suspect in my mind. I've never heard of them. And Power supplies are the last place you want to save money, as a poor quality or defective power supply can ruin anything/everything else in the computer.

If the flickering and such occurs even with the old hardware, then something in the old hardware may have been damaged. Considering it worked fine prior to the upgrades, you'd have to surmise that the power supply or the video card created the problem.

Also, I searched Google for your error: Media Shield ROM Bios 6.87 Nvidia 2006

http://www.techimo.com/forum/technical-support/249121-c...

This guy had the same problem (although not necessarily when upgrading). However he doesn't mention screen issues, just that the PC won't pass the above message.
m
l
January 8, 2011 12:40:59 PM

Hi jerreece, thank you for your reply. I've read so much about this on the net posts, and have tried most. I really hate not solving this. This was such an easy upgrade to do,how could it get sooo screwed up. I just finished my own build with no hitches. I really appreciate your thoughts, and ideas. It seems to me that I'll have to replace the mob and what ever else is broke. I hope I didn't lose any of her data on the HDD's. I thought I knew more about pc's. I guess God has a way to humble us. Thank you. Happy New Year and God bless. Old fa_t.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 9, 2011 1:12:17 AM

Old Fa_t said:
Hi jerreece, thank you for your reply. I've read so much about this on the net posts, and have tried most. I really hate not solving this. This was such an easy upgrade to do,how could it get sooo screwed up. I just finished my own build with no hitches. I really appreciate your thoughts, and ideas. It seems to me that I'll have to replace the mob and what ever else is broke. I hope I didn't lose any of her data on the HDD's. I thought I knew more about pc's. I guess God has a way to humble us. Thank you. Happy New Year and God bless. Old fa_t.

Wow I feel that way about once a week even after 30 years of using,repairing,upgrading computers.
Just when I think "I am the Man" God will gently remind me that yes "I am ONLY a man"

With that said my best guess is that Gateway used a proprietary motherboard power connector which means that
even though the aftermarket fit that maybe in the Gateway psu one wire was a hot while in the Rocketfish that wire
could be a ground.
That is just a educated guess.
So the PSU could be fine as well GPU but the mobo shorted.
The PSU and GPU could be suspect so I would exchange or return them to be safe.
m
l
January 9, 2011 3:02:54 AM

Hi jerreece, I can tell your a good man. I'll let you know what happens down the road. My wife is really a sweet lady, thats why I feel so bad about this . Keep the faith brother. God bless. Old fa_t.
m
l
January 9, 2011 3:33:09 AM

jerreece, I just thought of something that could be important. The original 300w psu had a 20 pin connector and the mob has a 24pin connector. when I installed the new psu, it had both a 20 and a24 pin connector. Since the original psu used only 20 pins that's what I used with the new psu. Do you think that is a problem. I did try it with the 24 pin set up but it didn't work either. Maybe the damage was already done. What doe's your experience tell you? God bless. Old fa_t
m
l
!