A quick question on the VisionTek Bigfoot Killer 2100

whatdoiput12

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
This is my first post to this website despite having visited numerous times to gain insight while choosing parts for a new computer. I am currently looking at purchasing a VisionTek Bigfoot Killer 2100 gaming network card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833189002), yet I cannot help but feel that I would be giving into the hype surrounding this product.

Some background info: there will be two devices on my network at all times: my PC and my roommate's PC. Addition devices are the occasion Xbox and any potential device that a guest might bring. The card boasts the ability to reduce latency to online game servers along with several added perks, although I realize that it's benefits will extend to my machine alone.

Here are my questions: what can this NIC provide that my router's QoS feature doesn't already? Will this purchase truly benefit my online experience? Or will this end up being a redundant piece of hardware? When the network is weighted down, will I still see a performance boost?

Thank you in advance!

intel4eva

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
I think the Killer 2100 is awesome if you can spare the money and the pci-express slot.

Also, you might want to look into this
http://www.sejent.com/lagbuster/

Router-side QoS is not very good. I use it, but that's because I have no better alternative, unless I want to spend 200 bucks on the device linked above. And even then, that thing will only prioritize games. I still want other stuff prioritized, like Skype. There's a huge untapped market here. Whatever products you buy, be aware the QoS market on consumer devices is nowhere near mature.

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
my experience with this network card wasn't too good. i liked the concept of the card a lot, offloading the network stack from the cpu to the npu. the problem is on the games i tried, it doesn't work. nice theoretically , but functionally it doesn't offload anything to free up cpu power...i was told that it does work with some FPS games, but i was mainly playing mmo type games at the time, and it didn't work with any of them.