RAM or Video Memory

Hello,
I have an older Dell Optiplex GX270 upgraded to 4 Gb RAM, and 3GHz CPU. Memory in Win XP shows up as 3.9 GB as expected. I installed a 256MB nVidia GeForce 6200 PCI graphics card and system memory drops to 2.6 MB. The onboard display has 96 MB of RAM. Would I be better off without the nVidia card and stick with the stock onboard video adapter if want to edit videos with multiple camera angles? Or should I just deal with the loss of RAM?
2 answers Last reply
More about video memory
  1. The 6200 uses shared memory. If you want to edit videos, I'd look at the CPU at first.
  2. the loss of ram is due to the limitation of 4GB with a 32 bit OS. This memory cap will include memory from the video card. I'm not sure if you can do it in the drivers but I was reading somewhere you can use a tool like Rivatune to disable turbocache. To be honest, I am not sure why turbocache would allocate so much system memory. Try using CPUID or go into the bios to determine if all your memory sticks are recognized.
    Switching to a 64 bit OS will give you access to all system memory (minus the allocation from Turbocache).
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Video Memory RAM Memory Graphics