• Cases
  • Front Panel
  • USB3
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
June 13, 2011 4:59:52 AM

hey everyone,

so I'm looking to buy a new case for my upcoming build and I'm looking for a case with USB 3.0 connector, my mobo will be the asus p8z68 v pro ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) and I'm reading that the graphite 600T's USB 3.0 front panel connection needs to be routed to the back of the case; I'm kinda skeptical about that notion. I was wondering if there was an adaptor that was supplied with that mobo or that case that will let me plug it directly into the mobo?

if not if there was any other case in that ~ $150 price range with USB 3.0 front panel connection that gets connected directly into the mobo?

thanks for any help.

PS: my 2nd choice was the HAF X but that seems to have the same issue?

More about : usd front panel connector graphite 600t white

a b ) Power supply
June 13, 2011 11:20:08 AM

No, the motherboard does not supply an adapter. I have this motherboard, and the only USB3 adapter you get is a slot-panel with two USB 3 connectors on it (plus the two USB 3 sockets on the back panel.

The first cases with USB 3 connectors worked via the cable to the back panel because they hadn't settled the pinout for the internal connector. They standardised the internal pinout a little while ago, but there are very few cases which support it yet.

I am planning on getting a drive-bay thing to bring USB 3 ports to the front of the machine. There's supposed to be one coming from Astrotek later this month.

The other option is to cut a hole in the cover panel for one of the drive bays and fit the sockets from the slot plate to it (I checked - they can be unscrewed from the plate).
m
l
June 13, 2011 4:58:37 PM

so with that adapter that comes with the mobo(the slot panel that splits into 2 USB connectors) i can plug in the USB 3.0 cable that is supplied with the case front panel connector right? I'm just not keen on taking that front panel USB cable around the back, I'm fine as long as I can plug it in directly in the mobo.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 104 ) Power supply
June 14, 2011 7:08:22 AM

http://skinflint.co.uk/a641666.html
may be of interest to you both, I cant get one in the U.K. but rest of world seems fine for them, I'm taking the other option of the 'front panel' style and plugging my Dragon riders usb3's into that then hiding all the cables away, not having it on my front of case, doesn't fit my plans

so,
Usb 3.0 sockets plugged to mobo? check,
nice and neat? check
no messing around back of case? check
still have the two usb 3.0 sockets at back of mobo to use as well...
Job done thinks I :) 
Moto
June 24, 2011 2:08:41 AM

Best answer selected by shaanujaanu.
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
June 25, 2011 7:14:11 AM

Thank you for B.a. man, glad to help
Moto
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 25, 2011 10:09:52 AM

shaanujaanu said:
so with that adapter that comes with the mobo(the slot panel that splits into 2 USB connectors) i can plug in the USB 3.0 cable that is supplied with the case front panel connector right? I'm just not keen on taking that front panel USB cable around the back, I'm fine as long as I can plug it in directly in the mobo.

I didn't think of that! Yes, you could unscrew the slot-cover from it, plug it into the motherboard, then plug the front panel cable into that - that's a neat solution. Clever!
m
l
!