Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Games keep crashing!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 8, 2011 7:11:06 AM

Hi all! I recently built a computer, here are the specs:

i5 760
club 5870
Gigabyte p55
Ripjaws 4 gb
ocz 600 watts

and the problem im having is that all the games are crashing, sometimes they seem to work fine, other times i cant even play for 5 mins. I do get a blue screen sometimes, but its too quick to write down what kind of an error it is. I did a memtest and there were errors of course, but then i checked and the motherboard had "overclocked" it, for some reason, so i fixed the timings and there were no more errors, but still the games crashed/blue screens. I'm totally pissed, i want the games to work, please help!

tried running both xp 64 and windows 7 64, both with crashes :(  sometimes im not even doing anything and i get a blue screen :( 

please please help!

i'd be happy to provide more info!

More about : games crashing

a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2011 7:42:15 AM

Have you got the latest drivers installed?
January 8, 2011 8:23:23 AM

i do! I download the latest catalyst suit from amd for the graphics card, download an updated version of the driver for the chipset, dunno if i need anything else, oh and all the updates for windows xp/windows 7,

is there anything else that needs to have a driver?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2011 8:24:44 AM

Did you install the motherboard drivers before the graphics drivers?
January 8, 2011 8:26:49 AM

after i did the driver install for the graphics card, as the error still persisted so i was looking for another solution and found the chipset drivers, so installed them AFTER the graphics card driver install.
a b U Graphics card
January 8, 2011 8:32:05 AM

Try installing the motherboard drivers first and then install the Graphics Drivers.
January 8, 2011 9:07:51 AM

Thanx sounds like a good idea, am doing it now, will let you know how it turns out! Thanx very much for your help!
a c 499 U Graphics card
January 8, 2011 3:06:24 PM

Did you confirm that the memory modules are being operated at the correct voltage? G.Skill has a lot of different models of their Ripjaws Series and they operate at different voltage levels.
January 8, 2011 3:30:13 PM

ko888 said:
Did you confirm that the memory modules are being operated at the correct voltage? G.Skill has a lot of different models of their Ripjaws Series and they operate at different voltage levels.



Hi! So heres an image of my memory timings



and the actual memory timings (what it says on the label is) CL7-7-7-18 1.5 v

the g.skill memeory module is called the DDR3-1066 pc2-8500, 4096MB x 1

hope this helps!
a c 499 U Graphics card
January 8, 2011 3:50:25 PM

If you have an image of the SPD tab page from CPU-Z, please post it, as it would be more helpful.
January 8, 2011 4:21:27 PM

ko888 said:
If you have an image of the SPD tab page from CPU-Z, please post it, as it would be more helpful.



here u go



much appreciate the help!
a c 499 U Graphics card
January 8, 2011 5:48:50 PM

When you said "... so i fixed the timings ..." did you go into the BIOS Setup and manually enter the memory timings through CMOS Setup Utility --> MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.) --> Advanced Memory Settings menu?

What value do you see for the Profile DDR Voltage option in that menu? Is it 1.5V?

Are the BSOD's happening on all games or only specific games?
January 9, 2011 3:41:35 PM

ko888 said:
When you said "... so i fixed the timings ..." did you go into the BIOS Setup and manually enter the memory timings through CMOS Setup Utility --> MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.) --> Advanced Memory Settings menu?

What value do you see for the Profile DDR Voltage option in that menu? Is it 1.5V?

Are the BSOD's happening on all games or only specific games?



Hi so you were right i went into the BIOS setup ant manually entered the memory timiings the M.I.T the tRAS timinigs were set to 20 so i changed it to 18, the DDR voltage IS 1.5 V and the QPI voltage is 1.1 V (i dunno if this is correct). The DRAM timing selectable (SPD) is set to expert, should i change it to Automatic or Quick? In any case im not getting any blue screen errors for 24 hours now, but the games do crash (stop, give an error) sometimes, and sometimes they work without any issues.

What do you think i should do now?
a c 499 U Graphics card
January 9, 2011 6:11:13 PM

A QPI voltage of 1.1 Volts is the default voltage. When overclocking the CPU this value may be increased to achieve system stability.

When the games crash do they always crash at the same stage(s)/level(s) within the game?

When it crashes with an error, the next time, post the error message here in this thread. You can also perform steps 2 and 3 in JackNaylorPE's post above.
January 10, 2011 8:15:39 PM

ko888 said:
A QPI voltage of 1.1 Volts is the default voltage. When overclocking the CPU this value may be increased to achieve system stability.

When the games crash do they always crash at the same stage(s)/level(s) within the game?

When it crashes with an error, the next time, post the error message here in this thread. You can also perform steps 2 and 3 in JackNaylorPE's post above.



Again thank you for the help! I decided to switch back to windows 7, 64 bit. And after a clean install and all the updated drivers i intalled Mafia 2 and it crashed twice on me, once with a blue screen.

I'm not sure how to open the .dmp file, i would really to show you what the error is. Its a "Page Fault in NonPaged Area" error and it created a dmp file. I uploaded to .dmp file to mediafire.com and heres the link:

dump file

thanx for the help!

p.s the games crashes at different levels, sometimes i can play for up to 20 minutes without an issues, and sometimes it crashes in 2 minutes.
a c 499 U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 9:35:57 PM

What is in the Technical information: section at the bottom of the blue screen?

It should show something like the following:

*** STOP: 0x0..........

*** ...........

Post the detail here in this thread because it may point to the cause of the crash.
January 11, 2011 4:00:47 PM

I am sorry if you've already been asked this (and provided an answer), but, have you tried to set everything to default in BIOS? Try it without any overclock. If it's smooth sailing with standard specs, then we can at least be sure that it's your overclock that's causing you issues and not driver/hardware complications.

I had similar issues with a previous built and it was all due to one critical error on my part in implementing an overclock. It was easy to solve once I narrowed it down to that though.
January 12, 2011 6:11:03 AM

ko888 said:
What is in the Technical information: section at the bottom of the blue screen?

It should show something like the following:

*** STOP: 0x0..........

*** ...........

Post the detail here in this thread because it may point to the cause of the crash.



So i was playing games the whole day yesterday, and not a single crash, neither software nor blue screen and then i tried dirt2 in the morning today and bam! BSOD. Manage to take a photo. Here it is:



@omnimodis78 I didnt actually do any changes to the BIOS, i just used the plug and play principle, dont know much about the settings, so i left them the way it came. The only thing i changed was the Memory timings, for some reason they were off from the original (what it says on the box).
a c 499 U Graphics card
January 12, 2011 7:18:10 AM

Which specific model, of the 23 models, of the GIGABYTE GA-P55 motherboards do you have?

What is the BIOS version currently installed on that motherboard?
January 12, 2011 9:30:06 AM

ko888 said:
Which specific model, of the 23 models, of the GIGABYTE GA-P55 motherboards do you have?

What is the BIOS version currently installed on that motherboard?



i have the GA-p55-USB3

and the bios version (from regedit) is

GBT - 42302e31
Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG

and systemBiosDate: 08/10/10

hope this helps!
January 12, 2011 9:30:40 AM

i dont think this is a bios problem first download the original driver from amd ( dont download the APP edition ) it wont work correct with your 5870 it will cause hardware conflict with the wrong drivers - perform registry cleaning its very important - if the problem didnt solve you must know that there is something wrong with your hardware im not sure but first 600 watt dosent seem enough for your system second the problem could be from the RAM/HDD
i told you everything you every possible solution .
January 12, 2011 9:35:19 AM

johnnyq8 said:
i dont think this is a bios problem first download the original driver from amd ( dont download the APP edition ) it wont work correct with your 5870 it will cause hardware conflict with the wrong drivers - perform registry cleaning its very important - if the problem didnt solve you must know that there is something wrong with your hardware im not sure but first 600 watt dosent seem enough for your system second the problem could be from the RAM/HDD
i told you everything you every possible solution .


which one is the APP edition?
January 12, 2011 10:14:32 AM

I removed the ATI driver and for some reason windows quickly installed its own variant driver for the 5870. Everytime i uninstall it, windows kicks in quickly and installs it. But the weird this is i suddenly got an error from windows that the graphic card had stopped responding but is back to normal again. Hardware failure?
January 12, 2011 10:18:46 AM

hissam99 said:
I removed the ATI driver and for some reason windows quickly installed its own variant driver for the 5870. Everytime i uninstall it, windows kicks in quickly and installs it. But the weird this is i suddenly got an error from windows that the graphic card had stopped responding but is back to normal again. Hardware failure?
disable the internet its install it by using the windows update utility use driver sweeper to remove the driver after you finish installing the ordinary driver go to control panel device manager and disable ati 7.1 audio device it will stop that message driver stop functioning and it will stop the crashing that happen when you watch a youtube video and the video turns to green
a c 499 U Graphics card
January 12, 2011 10:28:53 AM

GA-P55-USB3 BIOS Version F8 dated 2010/08/12 Description: Enhanced memory compatibility

The latest BIOS version for your motherboard is F9 dated 2010/11/01 to Update SATA RAID ROM.

I've looked at five different models of the GIGABYTE GA-P55 series and every one of them has had a BIOS version that had an update to fix a memory compatibility problem.

I would suggest that you flash to the latest BIOS version.
January 12, 2011 12:45:00 PM

Thank you all very much for your help, i did everything that i possibly could,

updated the drivers for graphics card,
updated the BIOS

and a whole bunch of everything else.

nothing seems to be working.

Thank you again for your help. I guess im just going to throw the card away now, 340 euros piece of crap.
January 12, 2011 5:44:08 PM

Dude don't throw it away yet! Have you tried to set everything to default in BIOS? Sounds like you're overclocking and it might just be a bad implementation. I had the same issue once... only had issues after a bit of gaming, otherwise the system was stable - but after setting it back to default, and narrowing it down to one single overclock setting, I managed to rectify it. The thing is, I also had memory issues with the bad overclock, so I see a lot of parallels between what you're experiencing now, and what I had.

And yes, I would definitely update the BIOS - something I'd do regardless of any issues.
a c 499 U Graphics card
January 12, 2011 6:12:49 PM

Despite what @johnnyq8 said that "600 watt dosent seem enough for your system" your OCZ 600 Watt StealthXStream power suppy is more than adequate for the task.

As long as both 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors on the graphics card are connected to the power supply you should be fine.

I haven't seen anywhere in your replies that you were overclocking anything but try stock settings for everything as @omnimodis78 suggested.

My suspicion lies more towards a faulty memory module.

There is still one thing that hasn't been tried yet and that is to increase the Profile DDR Voltage from 1.5V incrementally (but don't exceed 1.7V) and try gaming after each increment in voltage to see if the BSOD problem is reduced.

QPI voltage can also be incrementally increased from 1.1V (don't exceed 1.4V).

What made you decide to run with only one memory module and hence single channel mode? Why didn't you opt for a dual channel memory kit?
January 12, 2011 6:49:23 PM

ko888 said:
Despite what @johnnyq8 said that "600 watt dosent seem enough for your system" your OCZ 600 Watt StealthXStream power suppy is more than adequate for the task.

As long as both 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors on the graphics card are connected to the power supply you should be fine.

I haven't seen anywhere in your replies that you were overclocking anything but try stock settings for everything as @omnimodis78 suggested.

My suspicion lies more towards a faulty memory module.

There is still one thing that hasn't been tried yet and that is to increase the Profile DDR Voltage from 1.5V incrementally (but don't exceed 1.7V) and try gaming after each increment in voltage to see if the BSOD problem is reduced.

QPI voltage can also be incrementally increased from 1.1V (don't exceed 1.4V).

What made you decide to run with only one memory module and hence single channel mode? Why didn't you opt for a dual channel memory kit?



Well i asked a few people and everyone said 1, 4gb stick would be "faster" than 2, 2gb sticks. Anyway i'll get another one to test if its a faulty memory stick.

No i havent been overlocking anything, the bios i played around today a bit, but then i but everything back to "fail-safe" settings, it doesnt give a default settings option. Will let you know if increasing the ram voltage helps.
January 13, 2011 3:45:07 AM

will if you set everything in the bios to automatic and restore default settings and didnt work take your pc and go to your closest store and tell him the proplem dont let him unscrew any thing unless your warranty is exceded
January 14, 2011 5:29:52 PM

Ya that's what I've been saying too - to try setting it back to default but ppl are just telling him to change voltages and so on - which is really strange because at this point we just want to know if something is actually broken, and the only way to know for sure is to let everything work in default settings. If the system is 100% stable at default, then we know it's his overclock....but he just won't do that and let us know instead he wants to throw in the towel or listen to people who are misguiding him. :pt1cable: 

As for the single vs multiple RAM modules, that's nonsense. In terms of real performance, they are the same.
January 14, 2011 7:02:34 PM

so an update, Tamz_msc said i should install the motherboard drivers first and then the graphic card drivers. So i was reinstalling windows, and get this, blue screen. yes you heard it, a freakin bsod! Anyway, tried to reinstall again, this time it went fine, installed all the drivers for the motherboard, updated it to F9 and then finally installed the graphic card drivers. After a few restarts i got another blue screen error.

I went back to the bios setting, and i saw that everytime i set the bios to "fail safe" settings, it sets the memory timings to 7-7-7-20 while the original settings for the Memory (on the box) are 7-7-7-18. I was getting memtest errors when the memory was set to 7-7-7-20 and no errors when i set them to 7-7-7-18.

So now, i've done a completely new install, updated drivers for everything. Changed the ram settings to 7-7-7-18. AND i've set the ram voltage to 1.56V so i hope increasing the voltage to 1.56 won't "destroy" it.

I'm about to install Dirt2, lets see how it goes. Keep your fingers crossed!


p.s i dunno it upping the voltage means overclocking it, but just to make this clear, i haven't done any!! Everything is set to default.

i was reading on an ati forum that i should downgrade the ati clock or "delete" dxgmms1.sys (some guy wrote it and people had marked it as a good answer) and i found out that everytime i did that the card went dead. So im back to square one, but with a slightly upped voltage. Am open to more suggestions! Thank you all so much for the help! You guys are the best!
January 16, 2011 9:51:18 AM

ko888 said:
Despite what @johnnyq8 said that "600 watt dosent seem enough for your system" your OCZ 600 Watt StealthXStream power suppy is more than adequate for the task.

As long as both 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors on the graphics card are connected to the power supply you should be fine.

I haven't seen anywhere in your replies that you were overclocking anything but try stock settings for everything as @omnimodis78 suggested.

My suspicion lies more towards a faulty memory module.

There is still one thing that hasn't been tried yet and that is to increase the Profile DDR Voltage from 1.5V incrementally (but don't exceed 1.7V) and try gaming after each increment in voltage to see if the BSOD problem is reduced.

QPI voltage can also be incrementally increased from 1.1V (don't exceed 1.4V).

What made you decide to run with only one memory module and hence single channel mode? Why didn't you opt for a dual channel memory kit?




Hi so wanted to update you about the voltage, i changed it from 1.5 to 1.56 and guess what i had no BSODs since the last post! All games have been running, sure there were a few "game not responding" errors, but the computer beautifully and i saw no blue screen error. Sadly today in the morning i got two in sequence :(  i checked again to see if the voltage was the new one and that the memory timings were set to 7-7-7-18.

What do you think? should i up the voltage to 1.58?
a c 499 U Graphics card
January 16, 2011 5:08:29 PM

Yes, another increment.

To be on the safe side don't go over 1.7 Volts even though JEDEC states that DDR3 memory modules must withstand up to 1.975 volts before incurring permanent damage.
a c 499 U Graphics card
January 16, 2011 5:38:04 PM

Also, you should increment the QPI voltage to keep it within 0.4 Volts of the Profile DDR Voltage.
January 16, 2011 6:48:18 PM

ko888 said:
Also, you should increment the QPI voltage to keep it within 0.4 Volts of the Profile DDR Voltage.



ahhh thanx! will update after some tests!

btw, what does incrementing the voltage actually mean?
a c 499 U Graphics card
January 16, 2011 7:39:34 PM

Incrementing means to increase. Usually to the next available value for that setting in the BIOS setup.
January 17, 2011 5:44:01 AM

no no i know what "incementing" means :p  i was asking what does it signify? What does invreasing the voltage represent? Or what do we hope to achieve when we do that.

Another question, i dont think this could be the reason, some people say heat can be an issue, and my PSU is bottom mounted, and the fan is facing downward, so its taking in air from the bottom of the casing and throwing it out the back. Do you think its wiser to turn it around and have the intake fan facing inward, so as to suck in air from the inside?
a c 499 U Graphics card
January 17, 2011 7:36:47 AM

Aren't you hoping to eliminate the BSOD's? The whole point of increasing the voltage is to increase stability.

You shouldn't turn the power supply so that its intake fan is facing up because you're just going to disturb the proper airflow within the case. Why would you want to suck warm air through the power supply? The purpose of the bottom mount is so that cooler outside air can be drawn through the power supply.
January 17, 2011 4:27:42 PM

no dice, QPI set to 1.21 and Ram voltage set to 1.56. Will up the volts now.
!