Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Games lag randomly

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 8, 2011 9:52:54 AM

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting so please bear with me. I usually do find the answers to my questions on this site but I'm now tired of searching aimlessly.

I'm getting random lags in games. Like I'll be playing at high FPS for about 15 mins then all of a sudden the FPS drops to like 15-18. It will stay like this for about 20-25 seconds before going back to normal. I'm currently playing Assasins Creed 2 on max settings at 1440x900, but this is not the only game this happens to. It does not matter what game I'm playing. Be it old or new.

My specs are:

MB: Asus M2N68AM - Plus
CPU: Athlon II X2 240
GPU: XFX GeForce® 9800 GT Copper
RAM: 3GB at 800 MHZ

I hope I posted this in the correct area.

More about : games lag randomly

January 8, 2011 10:09:10 AM

Can you run GPU-Z or Everest Ultimate in the background while gaming, and make sure they are logging all details. Sounds like when my GPU would randomly drop to 2D mode, and then fire back up into 3D performance mode. 2D mode on GPUs have a much lower core clock which effects your gameplay greatly.

Other reasons for this could be a bottleneck by your CPU. Are you running anything in the background when this happens? Or have anti-virus such as norton, as some anti-virus randomly try to auto-update and I know norton for one does take like 90% CPU power trying to find new updates.
m
l
January 8, 2011 7:34:34 PM

Hi acer0169,

Thanks for the reply. My first doubt was the anti virus, but I ended all unnecessary programs and still got the lag. I think I got it figured out though. While gaming, I waited for that moment again and as soon as the game started lagging again I minimized the game and had a look at my temps using HWmonitor. My GPU was at 74C(165F). Nevermind that..My CPU was at 99C(209F)!!! I'm guessing that is not normal. This must also explain the unexpected system shut downs I used to get when gaming but not when working. I thought my PSU was faulty.

To make sure that that was the root of the problem I ran my games with my system all out in the open. And guess what? They ran the way they should.

Any cool cooling solutions? I kinda live on the country kind side so its a bit difficult to get hold of the high tech gizmoz and gadgets, any home made solutions? Tips? Maybe I should get my system out of the corner. Or a table fan might just do the trick LOL.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 8, 2011 7:40:05 PM

Oh and I ran GPU-Z just in case. Here's the log. Oh and the game ran perfect while GPU-Z was logging. So I'm not sure if you'll anything here, but just in case.

Date , GPU Core Clock [MHz] , GPU Memory Clock [MHz] , GPU Shader Clock [MHz] , GPU Temperature [°C] , Fan Speed [%] , Memory Used [MB] , GPU Load [%] , Memory Controller Load [%] , Video Engine Load [%] ,

2011-01-09 02:23:16 , 669.6 , 972.0 , 1620.0 , 62.0 , 40 , 67 , 0 , 0 , 0 ,

2011-01-09 02:23:17 , 669.6 , 972.0 , 1620.0 , 62.0 , 40 , 65 , 0 , 0 , 0 ,

m
l

Best solution

January 8, 2011 11:04:39 PM

Clean your cooler. I assume you haven't always had over-heating issues, so clean the dust and crap off your CPU cooler and it'll do a much better job of cooling your CPU. You could also remove it and reseat it with some better thermal paste, or even get a new cooler all together.

Cleaning it would be an immediate action though - if your processor is getting so hot it's failing (lag) you need to do something about it before you blow your chip.

Clean the fan - if needed remove from your CPU and clean, then place back on with new paste.

Look into some quality thermal paste such as MX-4 or Arctic Silver 5.

Possibly get a better cooler for your CPU.
January 17, 2011 8:27:40 AM

I cleaned the dust and reseated my CPU cooler with new thermal paste. My CPU is now around 60C(138F) when I'm gaming. But its the winter season here, its gonna be summer next month and it gets really hot here. I better get this sorted out.

Thanks for your help. :) 
m
l
January 17, 2011 8:28:35 AM

Best answer selected by Ezio.
m
l
January 17, 2011 9:07:30 AM

Thanks for the best answer.. much appreciated!
m
l
!