Sign in with
Your question

Help with i5 2500k Temperatures

Last response: in CPUs
June 13, 2011 1:25:02 PM

Help please I just installed a i5 2500k on a asus P8p67. Im running it on stock and my temp readings based on hwmonitor is around 50s on idle. And it even reached 97 max. Is the temp possibly because I put thermal paste on the heat sink / proc. I did not know that it came pre applied so I put another layer. If i remove the thermal paste I applied would that lower my temps? Thank you very much in advance

More about : 2500k temperatures

June 13, 2011 2:10:20 PM

Could be a number of things but it's not a very good idea adding on another layer to the pre-applied thermal pad that comes with the stock heatsink on the i5 2500k.
Sometimes people go overboard when applying thermal paste, and too much can actually make it worse.

What I would suggest, is cleaning off both surfaces on the heatsink and the CPU completely, and just reapplying one new layer. Don't just try to remove what you applied, just completely start from new.

Another thing to note as many people have had this issue in numerous threads. The stock heatsink on the i5 2500k and the new sandy bridge chips for that matter, are not going to be that great. (Well most stock heatsinks aren't that great actually). However, on idle you should be seeing temps in the 30's - 40's, and at max load probably high 50's to mid 60 max. If you are not planning on doing any overclocking, the stock heatsink will suffice.

One other thing to note is a lot of people have had difficulty ensuring that the stock heatsink is secured in place properly. The clips on the stock heatsinks require a great amount of force (surprising actually) and please ensure that it is completely secure and there is no wiggle to it. Although I am just making a general assumption here, you could have installed the heatsink just fine the first time :) .

Finally, when you first start your new PC up the temps will be a bit high at first. This is because the thermal paste (aftermarket in your case) needs a bit of curing time to completely and evenly coat the surface between the CPU and heatsink. Before getting scared with the initial temps, I would suggest leaving the PC running for at least 6 hours or even overnight at possible. I have done several builds and you can get a drop in about 10d C just by letting it run for awhile.

Anyway as I suggested, clean both surfaces off reapply a new coat of thermal paste and then post back with further information if you are still having abnormally high temps.
June 13, 2011 2:20:22 PM

Thank you so much for the reply. I just found out from googling that you dont need to add thermal paste because it already had thermal paste from the stock heatsink ( I was folliwing instrcutions from the motherboard manual:|).

My main concern is that when i start up the computer it gives me a bios error which i have to press f1 to go to bios screen and load from there. From the bios temps it is in the red around 90 degrees. I left it over night last night (and today) and it did lessen the temps a bit but still get bios error and high temps from hwmonitor. I will try to remove the thermal paste and reapplying to see if that helps. I dont want to oc so im assuing that the stock Heat sink should be enought. Thanks alot for the tips
!