Fried CPU or Motherboard

timesavage

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
I'm in big trouble. I own two computers. One is "suppose" to be awesome and the other is ok and great. My blown system will turn on, all fans operate, I can feel the hard drives working, BUT no picture. I tried 2 EVGA cards on my small system and they work fine. Plugged them in to every slot on the other computer, but no dice! Brand new Corsair 1000w. Board or CPU?????? Old Psu (raidmax 750 made a popping noise after plugging in two graphics cards at the same time, but no smoke. Got the Corsiar 1000w) Did the PSU fry my sytem????? Did it fry the CPU or the MOBO?????

System 1 (supposed bad ass)
AMD 1090t, 16 mg @1600 Gskillx, Gigabyte UD5 890fx, Corsair 1000w, EVGA 460 @ 768

System 2
AMD Athlon II X2 255 , 8 mb @ 1333 Gskill, Apevia 520w, GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3

The new PSU surely won't have caused any trouble. Must have been the old PSU or any accidental short circuit. Check the CPU in your other system. If that works, the fault is with the motherboard.

P.S. - Do make sure the other system is running the latest motherboard BIOS to support the processor.

Sounds like my ancient desktop issue (Pentium 4). Old PSU fried either the motherboard or cpu but the fans/HDD get power (kind like the saying "the lights are on but nobody is home")

Only why to test if it's the motherboard or the cpu is the issue is to test it with other hardware.

Lucky for you compared to me, you can swap around hardware between your 2 computer as they got the same base setup. Both are AM3 motherboard and both are AM3 CPU's so there practically compatible with each other.

As emperus pointed out thought. make sure that the bios on the working system is up to the latest to be sure of cpu compatibility.