Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Computer crashing due to video card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 8, 2011 3:51:17 PM

Hi everyone,

I've been experiencing some computer crashes( blue screens). It always occurs when watching videos and starting up games to play. Also the screen becomes full of green/blue lines and boxes and i have to kill the power and restart the computer. Even when booting the computer those weird green/blue boxes are on the screen. I'm kind of an amateur with diagnosing computer issues but I'm about 99% sure it's the video card and i just want to get some good opinions before i go out and spend $200+ on a new one. :) 

If anyone might be wondering I have an R4850
a c 1362 U Graphics card
January 8, 2011 3:55:26 PM

Artifacting points to the card.
Score
January 8, 2011 8:17:09 PM

rolli59 said:
Artifacting points to the card.

Thanks Rolli, I figured it would be caused by that but is there any possibility it could be something else as well?... I'm a little paranoid because i don't want to order a new card if i don't have to.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 1362 U Graphics card
January 8, 2011 9:04:49 PM

It is 99.9% the card when you get artifacts on the screen. Did you notice any heat problems with the card prior to the issue?
January 9, 2011 4:20:12 PM

rolli59 said:
It is 99.9% the card when you get artifacts on the screen. Did you notice any heat problems with the card prior to the issue?

It's actually always had heating problems since day 1 when i bought the card. It used to idle at almost 75 degrees before I added a couple of fans and got it down to 55. But nothing was really out of the ordinary before it started crashing and now windows won't even boot without it crashing and the artifacts are always there now even when booting.
Score
January 9, 2011 4:21:01 PM

Best answer selected by MangeyKalzoo.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 9, 2011 5:24:59 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!