Sign in with
Your question

Do I need a CrossFire connector for 2 HD 5770s?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 8, 2011 4:59:17 PM

Just as I stated in the title, do I need a crossfire connector to run two ATI HD 5770s? I read somewhere that the newer cards (ie the HD series) has something internal that lets them work in crossfire and doesn't need the connector. Is this true?
January 8, 2011 5:40:24 PM

Its possible to run them with out it but i don't think they will run in xfire. i have the 4850's and you have to have at least 1 xfire bridge between them to benefit from xfire.
m
l
January 9, 2011 6:10:44 AM

I guess not since the performance is not significantly improved. Though it may end up leading to higher temps of the Northbridge.
For more details you can go thru this particular article and if you don't want to read thru the whole thing the points you need to read are the three above the last pic on that page.... :) 

http://www.rage3d.com/interviews/atichats/undertheihs/

Here's a quote from Nizzen another fellow netizen... :) 
"I have 2x Asus 5870 in crossfire. I tested 1 bridge vs 2 bridges in games and 3dmarks. Crysis, farcry 2, nfs shift, crysis Warhead, Fallout 3, 3dmark 05,06 and vantage. All tests where identical with one and two bridges. No performanceloss og gain.

But if I run my 5870 cards in x16 + x8 pci-e speed, then my average fps in Warhead goes form ~53fps --> ~42fps. Compared when I run pci-e x16 +x16 on my Evga x58 vanilla. In 3dmarks I don't loos so mutch "power" from x16/x8.

Apparently Crysis Warhead need all the bandwidt it can get "
Forgive his typos.....pls
m
l
Related resources
January 16, 2011 6:04:39 AM

alyoshka said:
I guess not since the performance is not significantly improved. Though it may end up leading to higher temps of the Northbridge.
For more details you can go thru this particular article and if you don't want to read thru the whole thing the points you need to read are the three above the last pic on that page.... :) 

http://www.rage3d.com/interviews/atichats/undertheihs/

Here's a quote from Nizzen another fellow netizen... :) 
"I have 2x Asus 5870 in crossfire. I tested 1 bridge vs 2 bridges in games and 3dmarks. Crysis, farcry 2, nfs shift, crysis Warhead, Fallout 3, 3dmark 05,06 and vantage. All tests where identical with one and two bridges. No performanceloss og gain.

But if I run my 5870 cards in x16 + x8 pci-e speed, then my average fps in Warhead goes form ~53fps --> ~42fps. Compared when I run pci-e x16 +x16 on my Evga x58 vanilla. In 3dmarks I don't loos so mutch "power" from x16/x8.

Apparently Crysis Warhead need all the bandwidt it can get "
Forgive his typos.....pls

Wow, yesterday I was wondering if I was ever going to get a reply on this site (seeing as I've never posted here). Thanks for the info and saying where the useful info was on that page. But my question still kind of needs answered. Is the connector better (and where can I even get one) or should I just use the cards themselves?

Also, I saw a related article here and I'm wondering if I should just try to go for one of the newer Nvidia cards and SLI that later on?
m
l
January 16, 2011 6:13:05 AM

Linkman428 said:
Wow, yesterday I was wondering if I was ever going to get a reply on this site (seeing as I've never posted here). Thanks for the info and saying where the useful info was on that page. But my question still kind of needs answered. Is the connector better (and where can I even get one) or should I just use the cards themselves?

Also, I saw a related article here and I'm wondering if I should just try to go for one of the newer Nvidia cards and SLI that later on?

http://sites.amd.com/PublishingImages/Public/Graphic_Il...

You need a bridge for 5770's.

If you do add a 2nd 5770, you will have better than 5870 performance most the time at a good cost. The draw back is you will have to deal with crossfire disadvantages.
m
l
January 16, 2011 6:18:05 AM

bystander said:
http://sites.amd.com/PublishingImages/Public/Graphic_Il...

You need a bridge for 5770's.

If you do add a 2nd 5770, you will have better than 5870 performance most the time at a good cost. The draw back is you will have to deal with crossfire disadvantages.

Thanks for that chart. I just found another apparently outdated one that I was going to post here and ask about.

http://game.amd.com/us-en/content/images/crossfirex/CF_...

And what would the crossfire disadvantages be? Obviously more power usage and such. Any major bugs or anything though?
m
l
January 16, 2011 6:20:22 AM

OK since you still seem to have a doubt let me make it a little clearer, it basically depends on your Mobo, if you have a great one without having to worry about temps then you don't need the 2 CF bridges, but if you're not too sure about the holiness of the Mobo then you do need them..... you can get them from any computer retailer in your area, or if you prefer online shops you can check out the ones that ship to your area.....

You can use the cards without the bridge but you'll "Feel" better if you have the bridges on... :) 

And if you have the dough and want to change over to Nvidia and then later SLI you're welcome to do it but I wouldn't do it personally unless I was going to do some very heavy gaming and encoding stuff, I would stick to my ATI's and give them the bridges to make me and them feel at ease plus relaxing the Mobo a little with the help of the Bridges....
m
l
January 16, 2011 6:38:45 AM

alyoshka said:
OK since you still seem to have a doubt let me make it a little clearer, it basically depends on your Mobo, if you have a great one without having to worry about temps then you don't need the 2 CF bridges, but if you're not too sure about the holiness of the Mobo then you do need them..... you can get them from any computer retailer in your area, or if you prefer online shops you can check out the ones that ship to your area.....

You can use the cards without the bridge but you'll "Feel" better if you have the bridges on... :) 

And if you have the dough and want to change over to Nvidia and then later SLI you're welcome to do it but I wouldn't do it personally unless I was going to do some very heavy gaming and encoding stuff, I would stick to my ATI's and give them the bridges to make me and them feel at ease plus relaxing the Mobo a little with the help of the Bridges....

You're gonna love me for this. I've been looking on TigerDirect and found that for the price of a GTX 460, I can get an ATI 6850. So guess what I'm buying? :)  I just won't mess with all this crossfire stuff right now. As for my motherboard, I was planning on buying a new one that supports AM3 socket, DDR3 ram, crossfire, and all that good stuff anyway so it wouldn't really matter in this situation. It's either a 790FX/GX or 890FX/GX. Not sure which.

Edit: Forgot to say thanks to you guys for the info. I might not need it now, but I'll remember this when I DO need it.
m
l
January 16, 2011 6:48:08 AM

Yeah, I bet you're going to be back when you start the multi monitor gig.... :) 
m
l
January 16, 2011 5:15:44 PM

Nah, I don't think I'll use multi monitor. If I can get my hands on one giant monitor at some point then I'll be happy. :p  Giant being 1920x1080 or possibly 2560x1600. Using a 19" 1440x900 right now.
m
l
!