Nikon 50 mm AF-D lens and D70 question

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 9, 2005 1:28:16 PM

Hi,
Does Nikon 50 mm AF-D lens becomes a wide angle lens if used with D70
or it remains a 50 mm lens? Is there anything different happens when we
use this lens with D70 because of CCD smaller than 35 mm film?
Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 3:35:43 PM

On 9 Feb 2005 10:28:16 -0800, "Himadri" <himadric@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>Does Nikon 50 mm AF-D lens becomes a wide angle lens if used with D70
>or it remains a 50 mm lens? Is there anything different happens when we
>use this lens with D70 because of CCD smaller than 35 mm film?
>Thanks in advance.

It remains a 50mm lens but the image is cropped down to the image of a
75mm.

See this.

http://www.lonestardigital.com/multipler.htm

"Vietnam is what we had instead of happy childhoods."

Tim Page in
"Dispatches"
by Michael Herr
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 9:33:48 PM

On 09 Feb 2005 in rec.photo.digital, Himadri wrote:

> Does Nikon 50 mm AF-D lens becomes a wide angle lens if used with D70
> or it remains a 50 mm lens? Is there anything different happens when we
> use this lens with D70 because of CCD smaller than 35 mm film?

A 50mm lens is a 50mm lens is...

To follow the nomenclature, on a D70 the 35mm (film) equivalent would be
1.5x, or a 75mm lens. You can find this by looking at the EXIF data from
a D70 .jpg.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

> >Hi,
> >Does Nikon 50 mm AF-D lens becomes a wide angle lens if used with D70
> >or it remains a 50 mm lens? Is there anything different happens when we
> >use this lens with D70 because of CCD smaller than 35 mm film?
> >Thanks in advance.
>
> It remains a 50mm lens but the image is cropped down to the image of a
> 75mm.

no, it remains a 50mm and the image is not cropped down to the image of a
75mm.
The angle of view is reduced to that which a 75mm would have when mounted on
a camera with a 35mm frame (of whatever recording media).

There is no "multiplier".
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 11:26:15 PM

It's commonly referred to as a multiplier though, but you are correct. The
angle of view is the only thing that changes. You get the angle of view of a
75mm lens on a 50 - but it's still a 50mm.

"Jeroen Wenting" <beefjerky@hornet.beefjerky.demon.nl> wrote in message
>> >Hi,
>> >Does Nikon 50 mm AF-D lens becomes a wide angle lens if used with D70
>> >or it remains a 50 mm lens? Is there anything different happens when we
>> >use this lens with D70 because of CCD smaller than 35 mm film?
>> >Thanks in advance.
>>
>> It remains a 50mm lens but the image is cropped down to the image of a
>> 75mm.
>>
> no, it remains a 50mm and the image is not cropped down to the image of a
> 75mm.
> The angle of view is reduced to that which a 75mm would have when mounted
> on
> a camera with a 35mm frame (of whatever recording media).
>
> There is no "multiplier".

Anonymous
February 9, 2005 11:26:15 PM

Tomatoes Tamotoes?

"Jeroen Wenting" <beefjerky@hornet.beefjerky.demon.nl> wrote in message
> > >Hi,
> > >Does Nikon 50 mm AF-D lens becomes a wide angle lens if used with D70
> > >or it remains a 50 mm lens? Is there anything different happens when we
> > >use this lens with D70 because of CCD smaller than 35 mm film?
> > >Thanks in advance.
> >
> > It remains a 50mm lens but the image is cropped down to the image of a
> > 75mm.
> >
> no, it remains a 50mm and the image is not cropped down to the image of a
> 75mm.
> The angle of view is reduced to that which a 75mm would have when mounted
on
> a camera with a 35mm frame (of whatever recording media).
>
> There is no "multiplier".

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 4:56:44 AM

Potato Potatoe?

"hotchkisstrio" <paulyhotchkiss@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Tomatoes Tamotoes?
>

> "Jeroen Wenting" <beefjerky@hornet.beefjerky.demon.nl> wrote in message
>> >
>> > It remains a 50mm lens but the image is cropped down to the image of a
>> > 75mm.
>> >
>> no, it remains a 50mm and the image is not cropped down to the image of a
>> 75mm.
>> The angle of view is reduced to that which a 75mm would have when mounted
> on
>> a camera with a 35mm frame (of whatever recording media).
>>
>> There is no "multiplier".

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 4:20:23 PM

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 20:26:14 +0100, "Jeroen Wenting"
<beefjerky@hornet.beefjerky.demon.nl> wrote:

>> >Hi,
>> >Does Nikon 50 mm AF-D lens becomes a wide angle lens if used with D70
>> >or it remains a 50 mm lens? Is there anything different happens when we
>> >use this lens with D70 because of CCD smaller than 35 mm film?
>> >Thanks in advance.
>>
>> It remains a 50mm lens but the image is cropped down to the image of a
>> 75mm.
>>
>no, it remains a 50mm and the image is not cropped down to the image of a
>75mm.
>The angle of view is reduced to that which a 75mm would have when mounted on
>a camera with a 35mm frame (of whatever recording media).
>
>There is no "multiplier".

I didn't say "multiplied". I said "cropped".

"The booksellers are generous liberal-minded men."

Samuel Johnson
"Life of Johnson" (J. Boswell), Vol. I, 1756
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 6:17:58 PM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 01:56:44 -0500, "Jason P." <pillowhead@canada.com> wrote:

>Potato Potatoe?