Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Confused with release of AMD Fusion

Last response: in CPUs
Share
June 13, 2011 3:10:12 PM

I am confused with the release of AMD Fusion what will be released when? I am considering building a PC so dont want to get 1 just b4 something new comes out

I am seeing AMD Fusion E-350 on laptops, already. Then I heard AMD Fusion will be released in June. Then a post saying the poster will have Fusion in his country in Sept.

What can I expect to know about this month (June)? I expect something newer than E-350. But what? Just a minor update? AMD Fusion for Desktops (which is what I'm getting)?
a b à CPUs
June 13, 2011 9:09:58 PM

Fusion (aka, Llano) is a decent *laptop* processor with 'decent' (for a laptop) integrated graphics....

It is not what you want at all for a desktop, IMO, many better alternatives out now....
m
0
l
June 14, 2011 2:02:18 PM

mdd1963 said:
Fusion (aka, Llano) is a decent *laptop* processor with 'decent' (for a laptop) integrated graphics....

It is not what you want at all for a desktop, IMO, many better alternatives out now....


Theres a Desktop version coming out soon isit? I am probably not doing hardcore games, if I do, I'll probably get a GPU. For now, I am using it mostly for web development. Maybe 3D stuff (modeling/rendering as a hobby). Then perhaps some games if there are any good ones
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2011 3:37:37 PM

Zambezi is what you're going to be looking for, and that should be released in September or so. It's the more powerful desktop version of the Fusion brand.
m
0
l

Best solution

June 14, 2011 3:45:11 PM

The Fusion is already being phased out and it is just being released. Bulldozer (Zambezi) is going to be released in Q3 and then AMD will be focusing on a chip called Trinity. Trinity will encompass the Llano technology as well as bulldozer and that is scheduled for released in Q2-Q3 2012 I believe. Add to the fact that Llano is going to run on a different chip set and it doesn't make much sense to get one right now. If you want and AMD processor wait a few months for the Zambezi chips to come out and go from there.
Share
June 14, 2011 5:02:29 PM

jiewmeng said:
I am confused with the release of AMD Fusion what will be released when? I am considering building a PC so dont want to get 1 just b4 something new comes out

I am seeing AMD Fusion E-350 on laptops, already. Then I heard AMD Fusion will be released in June. Then a post saying the poster will have Fusion in his country in Sept.

What can I expect to know about this month (June)? I expect something newer than E-350. But what? Just a minor update? AMD Fusion for Desktops (which is what I'm getting)?



They're both Fusion. One is the E-Series. The other is the A-Series. The A-Series was released today so laptops should turn up int he next few weeks, while desktops should be ready next month. The desktop models go up to 2.9GHz with a 600Mhz GPU and will supposedly only cost $170.

A quad Zambezi might work out also, but AMD is being tight-lipped as to the exact launch\ship date for Bulldozer.
m
0
l
June 14, 2011 5:05:30 PM

baskerva said:
The Fusion is already being phased out and it is just being released. Bulldozer (Zambezi) is going to be released in Q3 and then AMD will be focusing on a chip called Trinity. Trinity will encompass the Llano technology as well as bulldozer and that is scheduled for released in Q2-Q3 2012 I believe. Add to the fact that Llano is going to run on a different chip set and it doesn't make much sense to get one right now. If you want and AMD processor wait a few months for the Zambezi chips to come out and go from there.



Triity and Llano will probably coexist for awhile as the Trinity CPU will be mush faster. This will let them drop prices a little on Llano. But I wouldsay that most Trinity chip swill rely on dicrete graphices, not Dual Graphics.
Then it depends on how many modules they get into it.
m
0
l
June 14, 2011 5:57:17 PM

Yeah. I doubt they will just get rid of something they have been working on for what 5 years now? But I think most people are going to wait and see what Zambezi is going to offer and then Trinity. I think Llano is a good netbook/notebook CPU, but not sure it is going to make much of an impact in the desktop market. It will depend on pricing I think and what benchmarks are going to show. They look good so far, just to many variables for me.
m
0
l
June 15, 2011 1:37:17 PM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
Zambezi is what you're going to be looking for, and that should be released in September or so. It's the more powerful desktop version of the Fusion brand.

Wow ... Sept ... plus a new chip following soon after ... perhaps I'll get a Intel i3/5 soon?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
June 15, 2011 2:27:58 PM

Fusion is the umbrella terms for all AMD APUs, it has the E-series (Zacate) which are atom contenders based on Bobcat cores (AMD's low-power architecture) and the A-series (Llano, The "new" fusion) which is competing with mainstream i3/i5s.

From what we have now, the A-series fusions should game alot better than their respective i3/i5s, having a much better GPU. CPU performance is weaker though, being on par with a Phenom II X4 clock for clock more or less as it is not much more than a dieshrink of K10.

Trinity is the next update to "Llano", like what Ivy bridge is to Sandy bridge, it will use (hopefully) newer NI-based Graphics and Bulldozer (AMD's new flagship architecture) instead of the aging K10 (Stars, Husky whatever they call it) cores which was used to ensure Llano isn't delayed until 2012 and to test out the 32nm process.

For you, if youre looking for a basic multimedia build that can handle moderate gaming, Llano is a nice option. If youre deciding to go high-end and get a discrete card, the ~2500K is the way to go before the Bulldozer based FX line goes to market early fall.
m
0
l
June 25, 2011 9:57:59 AM

Best answer selected by jiewmeng.
m
0
l
!