Building my first rig need help and suggestions.

movieinc1

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
This will be my first build ever and i want to know what ya'll think of this build. Im tired of my laptop and just want to build my own rig. I never done gaming on a computer but i am very open to doing it. i just want a rig that can do a little bit of everything i guess.i do want to do the overclocking thing also. Suggestions and opinions are welcomed. Any way the build goes like this.

case- silverstone raven 2
was thinking of changing out the case fans for noiseblocker fans or noctua.

mobo- asus m4a79t deluxe
is the MSI 890FXA-GD70 to much mobo for a noobie. it does cost a lot more.

processor- x4 955 black edition
would like to o.c. to 4.0 ghz. can't find to much info on o.c.

system cooling- standard cooling, or Thermalright Venomous X BLACK CPU Cooler or the corsair liquid cooling. Which one peoples?

PSU- was thinking about 750watt silverstone modular.

GPU- Single 1GB GDDR5 Nvidia GTS 450
I might buy second one down the line. If so how would i run it. sli,crossfire tell me something peoples. Looking for something midrange.

memory- Corsair XMS3 TW3X4G1333C9AG 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 RAM
is this good compatible memory i purchased for either one of the mobo i mentioned.

harddrive- 1tb westen digital caviar black
i read about people buy whats called ssd and just run the os off of it. i also was thinking about doing that to. Is that a good idea, and if so whats a good ssd? just enough memory for the os.

opitical drive- i need a optical drive that Reads and Writes to DVD/CD/BD
can anybody recommend one for me.

And I want to run Genuine MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Edition on this. Tell me, how would i run the system to be at 64bits. Do i have to use the maximum memory the mobo can do or what?

And I'm looking at buying the Samsung SyncMaster BX2231 for a monitor. would using hdmi to connect it make a difference. Wow I forgot to see if any of the two mobo have an hdmi connector if im gonna use that.

what do ya'll think of this build.

thanks.

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Where to start lets see. The board is nice the 890 is nicer..No it isn't any different than any other MOBO as far as putting it together. The 955 is a plenty as it OC's nicely. Cooling, I would go with air on your first build unless you just want the novelty of a LCS. The cooler I been looking at for my 965 is the Thermalright Black you have to buy your own fans for it but thats a good thing. PSU is sufficent, Video card is decent,HDD is fine. You don't need to do anything special for the OS to run 64-bit operations...It allows for more memory to be addressed, and no you don't have to fill the MOBO up with RAM for it to run right. As far as an Opty Drive for Blu-Ray newegg has got an LG for $79.00 that will fit the bill. Monitor is fine and dandy

movieinc1

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
lowjack989,i need a optical drive that Reads and Writes to DVD/CD/BD would it do that. by the way whats the model number for it if u know it. and the 890 mobo i was asking features wise is it to much for a noobie. thanks

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Hell I forgot tell you SSD is outstanding if you have the money just don't get anything less than 80GB's...and make sure to install in AHCI mode..Then follow TECMO's sticky for tweaks for SSD performance and Longetivity ... I got a slow connection right now so gonna have to wait to pin it on the thread