Sign in with
Your question

What is the cause of my stutter?

Last response: in Systems
March 13, 2011 1:46:25 PM

Hi guys. Been having problems with my system since I built it, for months now. Overclocking / Underclocking / Stock - Higher graphcis, Lower graphics, different driver versions. Nothing changes it.

The problem is a subtle stutter with no visible dip in fps that causes a slight jerkyness. This happens in every game / movie playback. Is very, very subtle, but enough to annoy me. It is most noticeable when panning horizontally left to right. So for example in a game I can run side to side, and its like every few seconds it skips a few frames or slows down. If I focus on a tree or something, rather than it being a fluid animation it will jerk a little every few seconds.

Phenom ii X2 555 (running unlocked at 3.6ghz X4 - prime 95 stable)
Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
4GB DDR3 1333mhz Crucial Ram
Radeon 5770 1GB
600w OCZ Stealthxstream
Hitachi 7200rpm 8mb cache sata ii (pretty crappy, but it just doesn't seem like that kind of stutter, sound continues, the games doesn't freeze, it just seems to skip a frame or 2)
19inch asus x193hq 1366x768 native
WIN7 64-bit

All drivers are upto date always. I've tried older versions in every combintaion imaginable. No amount of settings tweaking goes anyway to changing the problem. I've formatted at least 10 times out of frustration. Rolled back to XP 32bit at one point, nothing helped.

It seems to be worse with V-Sync off, but is still there with it on. I've noticed no version of CCC has ever allowed me to force V-Sync. Lowest resolution / highest resolution, lowest/highest settings, windowed/fullscreen etc. Nothing changes this noticeable yet subtle stuttering that is most prevelant during horizontal movement on screen. This happens in every game really, except I don't notice it as much in Modern Warfare 2 or left4dead2 for some reason, perhaps something to do with blurring effects or I just dont tend to strafe as much whilst facing stationary sceneary in those games. World of Warcraft, and every other mmo i've tried have it, Near enough every source game, starcraft2 to a lesser extent, in part due to the camera angle I think, and the fact the horizontal movement is different to third/firstperson games.

I'm thinking that it's the graphics card and/or monitor. With V-Sync on the refresh rate tends to cap at 59.1fps, as opposed to 60hz that I'd expect. It can fluctuate between 59.1 / 59.9 quite a bit. I've tried using d3doverdrive but it's not better/worse than ingame v-sync settings. Again the CCC v-sync has never worked for me, only ingame settings and d3doverdrive work.

I'm getting a GTX 460 this week to see if that will fix the issues, as I never had this problem with my older crappy system running a 9600gt and since building this system wish I stuck with nvidia all along. I will also be getting a new monitor, with a native DVI input on the chance the VGA connection is hindering me. Also will try get a 2ms monitor too.

If this doesn't work, I guess the next part would be Hard Drive, if that still doesn't work, I guess it's Ram / Mobo or PSU. I'm really at a loss here. To the untrained eye they probably wouldn't notice it, but I do and I've had enough of it.

I feel like I've tried everything, if anyone has any tips please let me know. Thanks.

More about : stutter

March 13, 2011 2:25:41 PM

I believe what you are experiencing is caused by your HDD....seems as though it is hitching...get the HDD first get something with at least 16MB cache...Hitching for sure is the cause as this would allow everything to still work yet still drop frames as the HDD tries to catch up with the rest of the system. It is the weak point in your rig and a helluva lot cheaper than a Video card. The HDD is bottlenecking the whole system...
March 13, 2011 2:35:18 PM

can you recommend a good one for gaming? I only need liek 250gb space as I only need OS and games on it.
Related resources
March 13, 2011 3:18:31 PM

That is a good one...although I never trust e-bay but that is on you...That HDD will be a great improvement for you
March 13, 2011 3:22:15 PM

BTW with vsync off you get really high fps and that equals that much more data thereby compounding the "stuttering" i.e. hitching issue with the HDD
April 17, 2011 1:16:15 AM

I dont think your HDD is your problem,Im having the same problem on my Dell xps 8100 system with best hardware for this model, only difference is my stuttering goes away when I set my games to fullscreen windowed mode, every other setting makes no difference.,I didnt have this problem 6 months ago but after many updates-presto! stuttering! and nothing fixes the problem and I tried everything believe me Including much tech support from Dell and Blizzard (WoW).,I really think it has something to do with incompatible drivers/software as I find the drivers very picky how you update them and sometimes dont work at all.,as for those who think it's the PSU,Dell only equipped a 350 watt PSU in this system as it turns out the 5770 dont require as much power as it's close brothers and sisters.
April 17, 2011 1:22:09 AM

Please let me know if I am wrong because my Win score shows my HDD to be my systems bottleneck.
August 21, 2012 8:10:50 AM

I know this is an old thread, but i'm having the exact same problem! Ever got it fixed?
August 21, 2012 8:25:30 AM

Fromd, what type of system are you using?

Specs please.

I had/have the same issue with my ROG laptop. I bought it secondhand from someone and it turns out that it is an overheating issue. Check your temps on GPU (see MSI Afterburner for GPU temp monitoring) and CPU (See RealTemp techpowerup for CPU/Core temp monitoring)
August 21, 2012 11:52:52 AM

Raptor87 said:
Fromd, what type of system are you using?

Specs please.

I had/have the same issue with my ROG laptop. I bought it secondhand from someone and it turns out that it is an overheating issue. Check your temps on GPU (see MSI Afterburner for GPU temp monitoring) and CPU (See RealTemp techpowerup for CPU/Core temp monitoring)

Already have a thread running about it: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/121845-25-stutter-g...

100% sure it's not a heat issue everything running at very low temps.
!