Regent Square

Distinguished
BANNED
Feb 20, 2011
Hi guys,

I am working on my new build. I want to know what is the loudest component of a pc. So i will know what should i choose. I want my pc to work quiet and let me gaming without putting on the headphones so i would not hear the noise of a machine. I have heard that it is graphics card but i am not sure. So guys, what you think?

Thank you for your help

Regent Square

jerreddredd

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

if you are going to game, its gonna be the graphics card. there are some that are too bad look at some of the reviews on Tom's and pick one that performs well but doesn't sound like a jet engine.

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
jerreddredd is right: Tom's hardware 2011 Gaming Graphics Charts 3D Noise.

Noise needs to be addressed on several fronts to minimize it. If you have a larger budget, it will be much easier: quiet components are more expensive because of the special parts that make them silent.

Several home theater cases are acoustically dampened. Look for one that will hold full size graphics cards. The case will help dampen the loud graphics card. You can also look for a traditional case and add your own dampening materials.

Here is a power supply that has a 140 mm cooling fan: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W

Don't forget to keep your Heatsink silent: frosty tech

There are lots of other resources out there to help you pick components that are quiet. Here are a couple:

Quiet PC USA

EndNoise.com

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Yes, your case fans can also be heard if they are cheap and/or not installed with sound dampening gaskets. Good thing is fans almost always have decibel ratings in their specs so you can get an idea of how loud they will be. Generally, larger fans are quieter.

Another option is to install extra fans, then get a fan controller to throttle them back. More fans, same air flow equals quieter operation.

jerreddredd

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

eloric is spot on with the case fan noise. I almost always rip out the stock fans and replace them with scythe fans, trying to keep the Db level 30 and under at full. of course you need to make sure the fan is moving are (CFM rating) I have about 140 CFM intake and 140 exhaust max with just my case fans and I run at about 60-75% of that via my Kaze master fan control. the air being pull in and pushed out of the case makes noise too. you have to find a balance between noise and functionality. you want move enough air to keep the system cool, but no so much is sounds as it is a jet taxiing for take off. with that said, a fan control and 1 or 2 case thermometers are golden.

here is my Lan gaming rig. I just ordered my 2nd GTX 570 so I can try SLi in it. note all the fans and the fan controller. I don't hardly hear the case fans, I do hear my CPU fan a little, but its moving about 120 CFM of air at 75%. My GTX 570 SC drowns even that out once it starts working hard, but its not that terribly loud (~42Db).

http://www.nzxt.com/forum/showthread.php?8419-JD-s-NZXT-Vulcan-Build&p=54292#post54292

the loudest part of any pc is the fans.
if you get sleeved bearing 1s you can reduce the ambient case noise to near silent.
i have upgraded my gfx cooler to an arctic cool xtreme and even at 100 percent its not as noisy as the stock case fans on idle.
they are as noisy as a stock 5870 cooler on 30 percent, so there next to be swapped out. 1s done i will have a silent pc. for idling and very quiet when gaming.
atm i can just hear it behind the tv when its on.
and not at all when i have my head bins on.

TRENDING THREADS