Website Hosting and Domain Names

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Haven't been here for awhile, just a question for people who have had more experience at this than me.

I'm looking to make a website but I wanted to get my own domain name. I also need a host too, what company in your opinion offers the best services at the best price. It will be a low traffic site, more of a labor of love. The whole thing will be coded in html if that changes anything.

Right now I'm looking at yahoo because they have some small business plans for 11.95 a month for 2gb of storage and 25gb of bandwith. I don't think I'll need 25gb of bandwith but I will have videos on the site and I'm unsure of how many hits it will get monthly.

Any help would be appreciated.

-----------------------
oh, its a nice day. TO EAT CHILDREN!!!

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
For domain names I always go through DynDns.org. I'm sure there are cheaper places but they also handle your dns hosting so it is convenient. You could even just buy the domain name and host it via a free dns provider like freedns.afraid.org.
I've only encountered onsite hosting so I don't know much about buying hosting space but I'd say yahoo would probably do a decent job as long as you don't have to have any yahoo spam on your site.
If you have dsl at home you should check with your provider, sometimes you get some free hosting space with your connection.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Yahoo has a package deal for the domain name and hosting space which I may spring for since it would be convienent for me (and simplest.)

I do have some hosting space on my connection but it's not enough, video files eat up a lot.

Do you know any other reputable hosting sites? Yahoo says it has a subdomain limit of 100. Excuse my ignorance but I'm not exactly sure what a subdomain is. If your site is say www.mysite.com then would a subdomain be www.mysite.com/page1 or page1.subdomain.com or are they one in the same?

-----------------------
oh, its a nice day. TO EAT CHILDREN!!!

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
A subdomain would be like www.mydomain.com and site1.mydomain.com.
I haven't used any webhosting services so I really don't know who is good or not. I think hosting your self is probably always the best, cheapest, and easiest :) Though paying for hosting might give a tad better transfer speeds.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>