Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 home networking

Last response: in Networking
July 19, 2010 7:45:28 AM

Hi, I apologise if this has already been asked but I am unable to network my computer and my laptop - both have windows 7 home networking. I can see each of the computers on the other but when I click on it i get the message 'windows cannot access (the other). check the spelling of the name, otherwise there may be a problem with your network. ... ' is anyone able to help me please.

More about : windows home networking

Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
July 19, 2010 7:52:28 AM

Have you turned of Firewall(s) in both machines ? Once the network is established turn them back on and they will adapt to an existing connection.

Have you enabled file sharing on the relevant folders.
July 19, 2010 8:15:59 AM

Thanks. I can get it to work when the firewall is turned off on both. when i turn it back on on the PC it still works on the laptop but when I turn it back on on the laptop the PC can't find the info so at least I know it has something to do with this. my pc is running kaspersky 2011 and the laptop is kaspersky 2010 so I don't know if this might have something to do with it.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
July 19, 2010 7:35:01 PM

112943,3,677167 said:
Thanks. I can get it to work when the firewall is turned off on both. when i turn it back on on the PC it still works on the laptop but when I turn it back on on the laptop the PC can't find the info so at least I know it has something to do with it[/quotemsg=112943,3,677167]

How long are you leaving it before deciding it doesn't work? I ask only because W7 seems to take longer between runs of Computer Browser Service and might need a little more patience.

July 20, 2010 5:10:24 AM

Thanks I have upgraded kaspersky to 2011 and it is now working - I just have to work out now how to get the printer to work - it is just spooling!
!