Sandy Bridge build i7 shutting down after 10 minutes

limeibook86

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Hello everyone,

I've been building PCs for quite some time so I volunteered to help my brother's friend build a PC. He picked out the parts with some help from me. Well the machine install went fine with a copy of Windows 7 64.

I was able to install an anti-virus, install FireFox and run normal tasks on the PC. The machine only froze up once when the Graphics card CD-ROM's flash menu loaded. At that point I had to hold down the power button and shut off the PC. The 2nd attempt went okay.

Now since he has the machine in his house he's reporting that after about 10 minutes or so of being on the system just shuts off. I originally thought this may be an overheating issue, so I instructed him to remove the side panel to let it ventilate a bit. Apparently this is still happening.

I'm just wondering if there's anything I should be looking out for. It's quite possible that either the graphics card power cable became unplugged or something else disconnected when he took the machine home. But I'm trying to figure out what (if anything) may be causing the machine to shut down besides overheating. Any ideas? I'll try to install CPU-Z and see the temps on the machine when I have it in front of me again.

Hopefully it's just as simple as something being unplugged, but if you guys have any ideas that would be great. Thanks! :)

-Steven

Computer specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (Socket LGA 1155)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67A-UD3H-B3 (Version 1.1)
Graphics: EVGA 01G-P3-1450-TR GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
Hard Drive: Seagate 1TB (SATA)
Optical: Standard SATA DVD-RW
PSU: XFX P1-650X-CAH9 650W ATX12V v2.2
Rosewill Standard ATX case
Fans installed: Included intel heatsink, small fan on PC case, fan on graphics card, fan on PSU.

arges86

Distinguished
interesting
first, i'd check the temps like you said, maybe the heatsink isn't on properly
I'd also check the event logs in Windows and see if they record anything (to help determine if its a software thing)
If he can, have him run sfc /SCANNOW from the command prompt