Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is this a power supply problem?

Last response: in Components
June 13, 2011 5:42:38 PM

Hi guys,

I think I need to take my cpu into someone as I can't say for sure what the problem is. I don't want to buy a new power supply if that doesn't solve the problem.

Essentially the symptoms are:

1. Firewire port powers device but windows doesn't recognize device. Sometimes turning off and on would bring the device back (its an edirol fa66 sound card)

2. Keyboard in various usb ports is now having the same problem. When I boot my computer it gives me a waring saying chip fan speed slow press f1. I suppose if I disabled this warning the keyboard may power up. (g15 logitech keyboard)

3. Antec Sonata II Case only lights up the right side of the front usb ports

4. replaced battery with lithium 3v cr2032 sony battery and nothing improved.

5. Mother board is asus A8n sli and power supply is antec 550. maybe 4 years old.

6. I cleaned registry with wiseregistry and the problem wasn't solved.

7. I removed a pvr card and problem wasn't solved

8. I just unplugged the firewire cord and plugged the keyboard into another usb port and now the keyboard is working (At least until this port stops functioning)

That's about it I guess. I can't really afford to take it in right now, so I'm hoping it makes it through another month or 2.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? If so, could you let me know how you solved it?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me, its appreciated very much.

More about : power supply problem

June 13, 2011 5:57:05 PM

Can you post your system specs?

It doesn't sound like it's necessarily a power supply problem. It seems like a usb controller/driver problem.
m
l
June 13, 2011 6:25:07 PM

Faulty Mobo possibly.

Unless you made changes (updates etc) then likely driver problem

If it was you PSU you are likely to see other issues appear first (unless you got modular and have banged your case around a fair bit)
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 13, 2011 6:26:27 PM

eightdrunkengods said:
Can you post your system specs?

It doesn't sound like it's necessarily a power supply problem. It seems like a usb controller/driver problem.

Sure, how do I do that? do you want me to take a snapshot of the device manager in photo shop or is there an easier way?

Thanks for your reply Mr chan ;) 
m
l
June 13, 2011 6:31:33 PM

hilltopmonk said:
Faulty Mobo possibly.

Unless you made changes (updates etc) then likely driver problem

If it was you PSU you are likely to see other issues appear first (unless you got modular and have banged your case around a fair bit)

The fan is plugged into the mother board but I don't think it should be. I think I plugged it in thinking it should be plugged in, but I dunno. either way, the problem occured before I opened it up.

If its a motherboard problem I may be screwed.

Also I forgot to mention, I got the blue screen of death a couple times. I pulled the back half of the fan out (the white plugs) but the fan is still plugged in.

I don;t want to unplug it because I'm worried it wont come back on. lol
m
l
June 13, 2011 6:34:32 PM

jasongadgetguy said:
Sure, how do I do that? do you want me to take a snapshot of the device manager in photo shop or is there an easier way?

Thanks for your reply Mr chan ;) 

Heh, "Mr Chan". :) 

Just list your system specs. What model motherboard, processor, RAM, operating system, GPU, any PCI USB controllers that you might have installed, etc. Something similar to what I have in my signature. Might as well tell us what CPU fan/cooler you have too.

The CPU fan should be plugged in to its header on the motherboard. You can hook all of the other fans directly to the PSU.

Did you just build this system? Where did it come from and how long have you had it?

If it's a motherboard problem, you aren't necessarily screwed. You can just RMA your motherboard. There are other things you can try first.

m
l
June 13, 2011 7:11:25 PM

eightdrunkengods said:
Heh, "Mr Chan". :) 

Just list your system specs. What model motherboard, processor, RAM, operating system, GPU, any PCI USB controllers that you might have installed, etc. Something similar to what I have in my signature. Might as well tell us what CPU fan/cooler you have too.

The CPU fan should be plugged in to its header on the motherboard. You can hook all of the other fans directly to the PSU.

Did you just build this system? Where did it come from and how long have you had it?

If it's a motherboard problem, you aren't necessarily screwed. You can just RMA your motherboard. There are other things you can try first.

How do I do this though? I don;t know exactly whats in it? I could try and download belarc or everest or something?

Is there something in XP that can answer this?

Thanks

m
l
June 13, 2011 7:21:19 PM

CPUZ should be able to give you most of the information you need. I think Everest will too.

m
l
June 13, 2011 7:21:43 PM

Okay I downloaded Belarc from download.com. It was pretty painless, so I would recommend it to others who need this info.

Here is the list:

Operating System new – server roles System Model
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States)
Installed: 6/19/2009 1:39:04 AM No details available
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI 1.XX
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS A8N-SLI ACPI BIOS Revision 1014 11/25/2005
new USB Storage Use in past 30 Days (mouse over last used for details) new Hosted Virtual Machines (mouse over name for details)
Last Used
MAXTOR 4 K040H2, rev 0811 12/31/2011 6:43:07 PM*
Syntek USB MSDC -- drive 3, rev 1.00 6/13/2011 3:02:23 PM

* Possibly used again before the reboot following this time.
None discovered
Drives new – drive encryption Memory Modules c,d
111.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
83.32 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H10A [Optical drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Syntek USB MSDC USB Device [Hard drive] (3.96 GB) -- drive 3
WDC WD360GD-00FLC0 [Hard drive] (37.02 GB) -- drive 2, s/n WD-WMAKE2076719, rev 33.08F33, SMART Status: Healthy
WDC WD360GD-00FLC0 [Hard drive] (37.02 GB) -- drive 1, s/n WD-WMAKE2078817, rev 33.08F33, SMART Status: Healthy
WDC WD360GD-00FLC0 [Hard drive] (37.02 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMAKH1147044, rev 33.08F33, SMART Status: Healthy 1024 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
Slot 'A1' is Empty
Slot 'A2' has 512 MB
Slot 'A3' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes new – volume encryption

c: (NTFS on drive 0) * 37.01 GB 9.48 GB free
e: (NTFS on drive 1) 37.01 GB 36.92 GB free
f: (NTFS on drive 2) 37.01 GB 36.92 GB free

* Operating System is installed on c:
Network Drives
None discovered
Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers

DISABLED Marks a disabled account; LOCKED OUT Marks a locked account

Bullzip PDF Printer on BULLZIP
Canon MP530 FAX on USB002
Canon MP530 Series Printer on USB001
HP 2500C Series PS3 on FILE:
Microsoft XPS Document Writer on XPSPort:
Controllers Display
Standard floppy disk controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller] (3x)
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] (3x)
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller (3x) WinFast PX7600 GS Extreme(NVIDIA) [Display adapter]
Acer AL1916W [Monitor] (19.1"vis, s/n ETL5209005, March 2006)
Default Monitor
Bus Adapters Multimedia
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
Standard Game Port
Virus Protection [Back to Top] Group Policies
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011 Version 10.0
Virus Definitions Version Up To Date
Realtime File Scanning On
None discovered
Communications new – connection speed & status Other Devices

↑ NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet

HID-compliant consumer control device
HID-compliant device (3x)
USB Human Interface Device (5x)
HID Keyboard Device (2x)
Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator
Generic USB Hub
USB Composite Device (2x)
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub (2x)
m
l
June 13, 2011 7:25:43 PM

eightdrunkengods said:
CPUZ should be able to give you most of the information you need. I think Everest will too.

Thanks, I looked into everest but belarc was free. I looked up cpuz and the screen shot does make more sense. thanks. Hopefully the belarc thing gives the right info, if not I'll do the cpu-z thing.

do you know if either of these let you test different components?

m
l

Best solution

June 13, 2011 10:43:19 PM

CPUZ does not let you test anything. I have not used Everest very much but I don't think it has tests.

Where did this computer come from? Did you build it?

"Antec Sonata II Case only lights up the right side of the front usb ports" Are they all supposed to light up (I'm not familiar with your case)? If they are, this makes me think the connections are loose or not correct somehow. The CPU fan error also indicates a motherboard problem (whether it's a bad power connection, a bad connection from the fan to the board, or your board going bad).

I would do the following:

1. Power down, open the case, and check all connections to your motherboard (use your motherboard manual). Doublecheck that the firewire and USB wires are connected properly to their motherboard headers. Make sure the cpu fan (and not some other fan) is connected to the cpu fan header. Check the power supply connections to everything.

If you are still having problems, then

2. Download the chipset drivers (the drivers for your motherboard and its onboard devices) and re-install them. YOu should be able to find these on the Asus website. This is to fix your USB (and maybe firewire) problems. Also uninstall and reinstall your firewire soundcard.

Still having problems?

3. Do a fresh install of windows. Either backup your data and install it on your current HDD OR replace your current HDD with a spare one and do a fresh install on that. The second option is easier and faster.

Not fixed?

4. You might try flashing your BIOS - preferably to a newer version (if available). You will need to know exactly what motherboard you have. This information should be written on your motherboard. CPUZ can usually identify it as well. I think it's less likely to be a BIOS problem, though and more likely either a software (corrupt windows install or driver problem) or motherboard issue.

5. It looks like you only have 1 GB of RAM. If you want to keep this system for a while, once you get everything else sorted, you should invest in some more RAM. A jump to 2 GB will probably be a noticeable improvement. Get your system stable first, though.

June 14, 2011 2:02:47 AM

eightdrunkengods said:
CPUZ does not let you test anything. I have not used Everest very much but I don't think it has tests.

Where did this computer come from? Did you build it?

"Antec Sonata II Case only lights up the right side of the front usb ports" Are they all supposed to light up (I'm not familiar with your case)? If they are, this makes me think the connections are loose or not correct somehow. The CPU fan error also indicates a motherboard problem (whether it's a bad power connection, a bad connection from the fan to the board, or your board going bad).

I would do the following:

1. Power down, open the case, and check all connections to your motherboard (use your motherboard manual). Doublecheck that the firewire and USB wires are connected properly to their motherboard headers. Make sure the cpu fan (and not some other fan) is connected to the cpu fan header. Check the power supply connections to everything.

If you are still having problems, then

2. Download the chipset drivers (the drivers for your motherboard and its onboard devices) and re-install them. YOu should be able to find these on the Asus website. This is to fix your USB (and maybe firewire) problems. Also uninstall and reinstall your firewire soundcard.

Still having problems?

3. Do a fresh install of windows. Either backup your data and install it on your current HDD OR replace your current HDD with a spare one and do a fresh install on that. The second option is easier and faster.

Not fixed?

4. You might try flashing your BIOS - preferably to a newer version (if available). You will need to know exactly what motherboard you have. This information should be written on your motherboard. CPUZ can usually identify it as well. I think it's less likely to be a BIOS problem, though and more likely either a software (corrupt windows install or driver problem) or motherboard issue.

5. It looks like you only have 1 GB of RAM. If you want to keep this system for a while, once you get everything else sorted, you should invest in some more RAM. A jump to 2 GB will probably be a noticeable improvement. Get your system stable first, though.

Thanks for the reply,

The computer was built by someone else and set up with raid. His company went under and I did something in the raid manager that made my storage drive unreadable and unformatable.

I lost all my data and reinstalled windows with no raid.

I then moved and did something in the device manager that caused my screens to stop working. I have no idea what I did, but I think it was a networking issue. I was trying to figure out why windows wouldn't pick up my smc modem.

I pulled a vga video card out (that I left in there for some reason, maybe an emergency or something) but windows wouldn't pick up my other video card.

I pulled it out and moved around some stuff and placed my video card in the lower pci express slot. (this may be the cause for the red light)

anyway, I decided to plug in my guitar to the sound card and a week later all this started. Slowly port after port began to stop working.

I went to the asus site, but I couldn't figure out how to download the chipset. I downloaded something but the file wasn't exe.

I also downloaded the bios and it came up as a vlc media file?

I don't have a disk for windows so I'll probably have to take it in. I have the key somewhere (I hope) I probably should have stuck it to the inside of my cpu, lol. I think I thought it would melt off or something.

I also have a red light on signaling that I have 2 video cards connected, so I don't know what thats all about.

I'll put some time aside to read the manual tomorrow and see If I can get her running.

Thanks for all your help, I think the windows reinstall makes sense, as does the chipset. I'm not sure I want to mess with Bios though.

There was a "Best answer option" to click but I cant seem to find it, but thanks for the best answer! :) 

m
l
June 14, 2011 2:04:59 AM

Best answer selected by jasongadgetguy.
m
l
June 14, 2011 4:49:14 AM

jasongadgetguy said:
Best answer selected by jasongadgetguy.

n
nHey, PM me or something if you decide to take this on by yourself. You need to take a little time to familiarize yourself with hardware before you delve in but you can do it.
n
nSometimes system files (like BIOS ROMs) are associated with VLC for some reason. It's not a media file and VLC won't open it. You need a separate program in order to apply (AKA "flash") the BIOS file to your motherboard. I don't think it's your BIOS, though. Unless it's a hardware problem, the "nuclear option", which is reinstalling windows, will often work.
m
l
!