Reseating the i7-2600k

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Hi, I have the i7-2600k CPU and I suspect that the motherboard is have has been used and returned. If i were to remove the CPU and return the motherobard and get another one, would I have to buy more thermal glue and apply it to the cpu or can I just put the CPU back on the new motherboard without doing anything else?

JordoR

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I would suggest using Isopropyl alcohol which you could find at any drug store or pharmacy for about 2-5 USD. They have several varieties ranging from 70% alcohol content to higher. Personally I use a 91% that I have at home, but I have heard some people being able to get their hands on 100% content. A bit overkill but some people are cautious.

While it's true you can use q-tips I have had experience where the cotton will rub off during the cleaning process and stay on the CPU. While I'm sure you could either blow it off or what is left is minimal, I like to ensure the CPU is completely clear of anything. I have had some success after it was suggested to me, with coffee filters. They don't leave anything behind and will do the trick.