Damienyoung

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
I am going to be making a custom desktop, and I am new to the whole building it from scratch thing. I have had custom PC's made before but I need advice from you guys concerning my new build.
The background is I have a recently deceased desktop due to an unknown problem (IT technician said it was either the motherboard, CPU, RAM or VGA. I am need of a new PC which will be used for Voice recognition and occasional high end gaming.
Here are my thoughts, and I am open to suggestions for modifications. (Although it would be great if the modified hardware was from this site http://www.cpl.net.au/pdf/page1.pdf )

Intel i7 970 Hexa-core CPU
Asus Rampage-III-Formula MOBO
Corsair 16G 1333Mhz
Western Digital 1TB Harddrive
Sapphire 2G HD697 VGA
Intel Pro/1000 Gigabit PCI Network Card
Antec TP 750W PSU
Samsung Blu-Ray Combo 12
NZXT Phantom Case Black

Possible future upgrades include a 2nd VGA card for crossfire (triple monitors), and depending on audio quality of the onboard, an audio card.

Also... I found a really good site explaining how to put together the computer, and I was wondering if someone could post me a link to detailed walkthough.
Thanks in advance

chef7734

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

I would go with an xfx 6970 if you are going with the 6970. It has a better warranty ( double lifetime) and oc and cooler change friendly. You dont really need the network card do you? I would also probably get a lite-on blue ray burner over a combo drive.
blueray burner
xfx 6970

Oh and if you are not doing a lot of things that can take advantage of the 6 cores then I would not spend the extra money.

Damienyoung

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Since I am probably not going to be overclocking anything, what do you recommend?
I am not completely hardware savvy, but is it safe to go with the brand new i7 2600K sandy bridge. There is one compatible (i think) MOBO and I am after something that can efficiently run Dragon naturally speaking 11 + possible later versions.
Keep in mind that I am only able to get things of this site http://www.cpl.net.au/pdf/page1.pdf unless absolutely necessary

Damienyoung

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Ok then. Seeming I know you guys love high priced builds :p would you be able to put together desktop off the supplied site which caters to my needs and will be easily upgradeable for at least 5 years? (and the reasons why you chose that if possible, as I do not know much about hardware).

My original idea was the i7 970 due to the 6-cores and hyperthread (running many programs)
But the i7 2600k is intriging

Well, you can check out my siggy guide as I've imprinted my reasoning of certain parts into the web with my siggy. The 1500$ one would be ideal for you with the 6950 2gb and i7 2600K. That or SLI 560 Tis.

The 2600K would leave room to upgrade because of Z68 (Replacing X58) and I'm pretty sure that P67 will eventually get PCI 3.0 support rumored to be for next few years.

The 2600K can HT as well as for the numbers, @chef, it still shows the 2600K being on top in Photo editing (not video editing though) and in gaming as well. Not a huge frame rate difference but seems the quad still is ideal for gaming.

The high priced build would be that 1336 build with the i7 970 you had up top. :p

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-990x-extreme-edition-gulftown,2874.html <----- Here's that i7 2600K vs a $1,000 USD cpu (i7-990X Extreme Edition)

If you don't plan on over clocking, then I would suggest the i7 2600 along with a H67 mother board....both of which are on that site you linked.

Damienyoung

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Ok, well I have gave this some thought and done some research (sorry in advance for being a pain). And I need to know my config within 24hours.

I know nothing about overclocking and only the basics of hardware.
Please keep in mind that I want this build to have the ability to be heavily upgraded in the future (maybe some OC).
Can you give me a definite best build in terms of performance and upgradability? [new word]

An:
Intel 2600K Sandy Bridge (do I need a non stock cooler?)
The highest performance and upgradeable MOBO?
Highest performance RAM? (with larger increments, eg 6gig per card) 8-12gig needed.
Highest speed Hard drive for booting and running programs? (not sure if 6gbs sata or ssd)
Best reasonably price VGA card which will be able to support 2 (or more in conjunction with a 2nd for crossfire/SLI [which yields the best performance?]) 1gig card needed.
Do I need an independent Sound card for Voice recognition?
Does the MOBO have built in wireless? And if not what network card would you recommend?
For case and PSU: either the NZXT Guardian 921RB, NZXT Phantom or Coolermaster HAF 932 with a compatible PSU (that is able to power everything plus the possible future addition of a 2nd VGA and/or other hardware)
DVD + CD playerand burner. If cheap enough ability to play bluray.

All these choices must be compatible and it would be great if they fully support future upgrades. But all the hardware MUST be from this site http://www.cpl.net.au/pdf/page1.pdf

Damienyoung

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Wanting to spend from $1500-1900. Please include a full list of this hardwares build!
Thanks in advanced for you help.

And which specified case would be best for keeping the pc cool, eg, the Phantom has fan controllers, others have temp displays

I posted on this thread... a mobo, 8 gigs of low voltage RAM (1.5v), and a 2600K cpu on there. The HD I posted is not on that site, but you can replace it with a WD 1TB h/d. Add a decent 750w psu like an Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, etc... and burner, case, and vid card and call it good.

Two sets of that RAM I posted makes 16 gigs.

Damienyoung

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Thank you guys/girls for the help you gave me. My apologies for being so ignorant.
I am now about to send off for the hardware. Even though I am not sure if I got a large enough PSU for upgrades.
Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS