LED emitter modifications

Majestic One

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
hey all;

i am going to buy a couple of packages of these LED emitters:

i am going to replace the blue LED's in all the fans and one in the front where the logo is illuminated with red ones.

I am altering THIS CASE.

i was wondering if any of you think there will be any kind of problem with doing this in the regards that i am assuming the fan LED's already have some sort of resistor so they don't run @ a full 12v because in this video it looks like they will run VERY illuminated @ 1v. I don't know what voltage the stock lights on the fans run at; maybe lower or maybe higher, but I want them to run @ 1v.

can someone tell me what i will need?

in the video from the website i found these LED's at, the dude says 1v = 10mA and am also assuming he's running a 700 ohm resistor???
does that mean i need a 10mA 700 ohm resistor to replace the one on the fan - or will that also affect the voltage to the fan? or should ijust simply just replace the bulbs and leave everything else well alone?

sorry, i know very little of this field and would normally just hook new bulbs up, but this is a new case, and besides possible fire hazards, i would like it to be a-ok - cool-aide.

THANKS!!!

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Hi I myself also don't know much about modifying LEDS, but if you don't know what you are doing don't, you might mess your fans up, short circuit something, ect. You could buy new fans. But if your fans already have LEDs, you could clip them off, and solder on some new ones, if they are the same. But i have never done this before so im not sure.

Majestic One

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
yeah they already have LED's on them so i will be doing just that - clipping them off and replacing the blue with red.

i want them to be 1v bright and was just needing to know if i would need to replace the resistors. i guess i will know more when i pull the new fans apart and see what resistor is on them and see how bright they really are.

i think i may be a little premature on this thread, but i originally was asking this stuff because i was going to make my own string of LED'S and hide them in places to create an illumination effect - like red light coming from behind the mobo plate and behind the PSU and places like that.