Over Clocking hard on 990FXA-UD3 w/ FX-8150?

o_tipper_x

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
This is my first real gaming system, with that said it will be my first OC. I have been watching alot of vids and reading, from what i understand your mobo play a pretty big part in it. Is the BIOS on this board friendly for a first time over clocker?

Solution

I did not try dropping cores to go above 5Ghz. It is kind of useless to go so high and drop 2 or 4 cores. Right now I'm running 4.2 on stock voltage but I think the voltage varies with the load... Anyway, love my FX it is so much better than i5 2500K and I can't believe nobody is talking about it. It handles Vistax64 much better than my i5 system.

Unfortunately without dropping cores 4.9 / 5.0 is about as high as you can get on big air / water. You have to pump a *lot* of voltage to get it that high. I was at 1.56V (1.45 is the "max") to hit 5GHz.

Anything above 4.6 isn't really worth it.

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
I clocked my 8150 system to 4.95 on water. I have 2 6950 in CF on the same loop and my temps do not get above 48°C but again I build custom cooling tower. Anyway my point is you can easily run at 4.2Ghz without any voltage adjustment. If you get above 55°C perhaps you need bigger radiator or try better fans

o_tipper_x

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
My cooling is the one that I ordered with the rig from Ibuypower.com I can't tell you the details on it right now as I'm at work and should be working but I can post here what it was labled as when I bought it. Sorry I can't tell you exactly what it is right now but I will when I get home.

Processor Cooling: Liquid CPU Cooling System [AMD] - ARC Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007

I did not try dropping cores to go above 5Ghz. It is kind of useless to go so high and drop 2 or 4 cores. Right now I'm running 4.2 on stock voltage but I think the voltage varies with the load... Anyway, love my FX it is so much better than i5 2500K and I can't believe nobody is talking about it. It handles Vistax64 much better than my i5 system.

Solution

vance r

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
i have been testing my new rig for 3 weeks now and must say very impressed with its performance, not as good as your 8150 set up, but with the board i will get there 1 day, right now i can play a game called Total War:EMPIRE(very large game and could never max out settings) now i can max out settings no lagging at all, had it running nonstop(except for shut down oon updates, and doing other small programs while having that game and otherts in background running. I have not seen my CPU usage over 62%(not bad for the little guy of the family), now here is my question
i have the rosewall challenger case with54 120 mm fans and 1 80 mm fan( no water cooling,using bois with board what would you recommend the little guy can handle if i want to over clock with my setup?

Roswell challenger 3.0 case(3 case fans)
750 sli power supplu
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
AMD FX-4100(starter)
8 gigs of corsair vengeance ram
EVGA 550 ti (fermi) 1 gig gddr5
WD 500 gig hd sata
asus dvd rw

Before you even touch overclocking, you need some sort of aftermarket Heatsink and Fan for your CPU.

The Coolermaster Hyper 212 is a great cheap HS/F combo, while the Corsair H100 is kind of the big daddy, expensive but very powerful.

the Stock HS/F that came with your proc is designed to only cool the chip at stock voltages, and will not allow any overclocking.

The most I have seen with the 4100 (with a new HS/F) is about 4.8GHz

full_out

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
I have my FX-4100/GA-990FXA-UD3 combo overclocked to 4.7ghz fully stable. It hasn't failed on me in the last 2 or more months at that speed and runs at about 40C - 43C under full load. I am cooling it with a Corsair Cooling Air Series A50. It's my 24hr machine and I am very impressed with the 1.1ghz overclock and it's stability :D