Sign in with
Your question

Bad memory causing problems?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 14, 2012 5:04:14 PM

Hello,
I just bought a computer from CyberPower PC. When it arrived i noticed the graphics card wasnt plugged in properly but was pinned between the in case protective foam and the side of the case. I didn't notice any problems afterwards so im assuming that it isn't causing the problems.
Everything has been working fine until about a week ago i went to check the BIOS screen to see how the MoBo temp and cpu temps were. Everything is super low so i didn't see a problem there.

Now all of a sudden programs have started to randomly shut down. Steam downloads would bluescreen the computer with different error codes like Memory_management, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, and someother code starting with a P. MSE would just randomly stop working. Games would randomly close. And the temps for the computer and GPU were never high.

I decided to check the memory with Windows Memory diagnostic. It said there were problems with the hardware but nothing specific. Then i ran memtest and it came back with a slew of errors i think. I really couldnt tell because i had no clue how to read it. All i know is that under the errors tab is was well over 300,000 by the first pass.

And this morning the comp would boot for about 10 seconds then immediately lock up. The mouse cursor would go into the circle thing and it wouldn't open anything and make everything not respond. I had to boot up my 5 yr old comp just to get my e-mail from tech support which has taken quite a while to respond. I cant really hook up the comp to post anything like diagnostics or run any other tests and i really dont want to open up the case and start changing the memory around for fear of causing more damage.

Any insight would be extremely helpful as this has been giving me serious stress. Everything is the same as it was when it was shipped and i didn't change anything personally.

Specs:
i5 2500k 3.3 (overclocked to 3.7 by company)
Super Talent 8GB 1600 ram (clocks were set at 11-11-11-28 in the bios i think)
Corsair 120 GB Hardrive
Seagate 1TB hard drive
EVGA GTX 570HD superclocked
Xtremegear 800 W Power supply
ASUS P8Z68-V LX MoBo
FA-WATER-111 CYBERPOWER 360 WATER COOLER KIT

Edit: I guess another big problem would be that i don't know if it is the motherboard or the ram sticks themselves causing problems. My cousin was able to test the A1 and A2 slots with windows memory tool and it also said that there were problems but he didn't test it with memstest. The ram was originally in the B1 and B2 blue slots on the mobo and thats where i tested with windows memory diag and memtest. We both didnt want to take the memory out anymore because we also noticed it was very hard to get it back into place without significant force. He has put together computers before and that was his suggestion to prevent further damage to either the motherboard or the sticks themselves.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 121 V Motherboard
February 14, 2012 6:08:57 PM

It is relatively uncommon for the problem to be with the Motherboard, 99% of the time it is the actual RAM.

Do you have any kind of warranty through the manufacturer? If not I would suggest picking up an 8 GB kit from a local computer store for less than $50 and pop those in.
m
l
February 14, 2012 6:28:31 PM

itzdanielp said:
It is relatively uncommon for the problem to be with the Motherboard, 99% of the time it is the actual RAM.

Do you have any kind of warranty through the manufacturer? If not I would suggest picking up an 8 GB kit from a local computer store for less than $50 and pop those in.

So if i buy some ram and pop them in i should put them in the same slots? But what about things like clocks. The CPU is overclocked but i haven't touched anything. Everything is still the same as it was given to me. Would the clocks adjuest to the new ram? would it interfere with the cpu? what about things like voltages. I know everything is set to auto in there other than the cpu which they did themselves.

But in terms of problems would bad ram cause things like random programs shutting down, flash crashing when watching videos, getting bluescreens downloading games, or the computer just locking up with the mouse circle just spinning and everything not responding?
I ran the chkdsks on both harddrives and never had problems with those, and i know it isnt the temps. I just want to be sure that RAM could actually cause those problems.
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 121 V Motherboard
February 14, 2012 8:05:49 PM

RAM would actually be the most logical explanation for those symptoms.

If you just swapped the new RAM in, you should not have to change any settings, the auto settings will be fine.
m
l
February 14, 2012 8:36:48 PM

itzdanielp said:
RAM would actually be the most logical explanation for those symptoms.

If you just swapped the new RAM in, you should not have to change any settings, the auto settings will be fine.

Well i haven't been able to pick up the ram and wont be able to until next paycheck but i just hooked up the comp to an old monitor and stuff to recheck the clocks and then when i booted up it said overclock failed. It sent me to the bios and i made sure everything was set to auto again and reset and everything booted up fine with the same 10 seconds of everything going great then locking up for about 2-4 minutes then working. Right now im running some virus scans on there just in case.

How would i check if it has the right clocks? I looked in the mobo manual but the only Supertalent listed was 6gb 2x3 with a single 9 in the front column.

I check cpu-z and wrote down a bunch of numbers before it locked up:

JEDEC #5 10-10-10-27-37 1.5V
JEDEC #6 11-11-11-30-41 1.5V
XMP1600 9-9-9-28-37-2T 1.65V
XMP1600 9-9-9-28-37-2T 1.5V

BUS 100 MHZ
Multiplier 16.0
Core 1600.3

PC3- 12800 (800MHZ)

In the BIOS on auto it was something like 11-11-11-28?

No clue what any of that means to be honest though.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 121 V Motherboard
February 14, 2012 9:01:24 PM

The timings are all ok, pretty loose though.

For PC3-12800 (800MHz) they should be 9-9-9-28 @ 2t command rate 1.5v
m
l
February 14, 2012 9:05:13 PM

Can those sandy bridge chips run in single channel memory mode with just one stick of ram?

If it can, take out all the ram but one stick. Put it in the first slot and test it. Then move it to each other slot testing in each slot. Then try the other memory sticks in the same pattern.

This should help identify if there is one or more bad sticks, or if it is just a bad slot. If you find that all sticks are causing problems in all slots then you could have a bad CPU as the memory controller is integrated.

If you can get your hands on another stick of DDR3 run the tests again.

Also, those timings look kind of high. Check the manufactures site to make sure.
m
l
February 14, 2012 9:25:13 PM

JasonAkkerman said:
Can those sandy bridge chips run in single channel memory mode with just one stick of ram?

If it can, take out all the ram but one stick. Put it in the first slot and test it. Then move it to each other slot testing in each slot. Then try the other memory sticks in the same pattern.

This should help identify if there is one or more bad sticks, or if it is just a bad slot. If you find that all sticks are causing problems in all slots then you could have a bad CPU as the memory controller is integrated.

If you can get your hands on another stick of DDR3 run the tests again.

Also, those timings look kind of high. Check the manufactures site to make sure.

Thx for the advice. Went ahead and checked each stick. The one that i figured had the problems immediately ran up with errors. The other one had no problems. Of course this is just from a few minutes each but it doesn't seem to be the cpu which i am most grateful for. So now its a matter of returning the sticks and getting some new ones it seems. At least for now. Going to run the good stick for a few hours at least to make sure there are no problems.
m
l
!