Swarming

From many sims it seems that swarming at same costs against a really tough
object (for example a Virgo with PPC, good PDs, 3000 shield and 12000 armor)
todays is not the easiest.
The reason is that the swarm is not following the target directly enough.
It's more a passing through the combat zone and at the end all swarmers
circle too much distributed on the outer perimeter where the swarmers are
slaughters due two many pair battles.

If the swarm and the main target don't enter the vcr at the same time the
needed number of swarmers increases rapidly. I only found that then a tactic
of splitting the swarm into two parts where one of them enters at tick 0 and
the other part at tick 300 is a more effective way if the attack vectors and
attack plans are choosed carefully. Also the weaponry plays an important
role.

Who can confirm this? Or is there an "easy" swarmer tactic these days?

GFM GToeroe

GFM GToeroe <gfm@gtoeroe.de> writes
>From many sims it seems that swarming at same costs against a really tough
>object (for example a Virgo with PPC, good PDs, 3000 shield and 12000 armor)
>todays is not the easiest.
>Who can confirm this? Or is there an "easy" swarmer tactic these days?

I've been saying similar things a lot of late.

The way I see it, small ships using small weapons don't work as well. If
ou look at the amount of damage small weapons do in VCR's it seems lower
these days.
--
Paul Honigmann

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Would that have something to do with the 50% chance to do no damage
that
all but one of the small weapons have?

You mean a 50% chance small weapons have of bouncing off the shields?
They do there normal damage against Armour and Ship Hull.

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

KlingonKommand wrote:
> GFM GToeroe <gfm@gtoeroe.de> writes
>
>> From many sims it seems that swarming at same costs against a really
>> tough
>> object (for example a Virgo with PPC, good PDs, 3000 shield and 12000
>> armor)
>> todays is not the easiest.

>> Who can confirm this? Or is there an "easy" swarmer tactic these days?
>

> I've been saying similar things a lot of late.
>
> The way I see it, small ships using small weapons don't work as well. If
> ou look at the amount of damage small weapons do in VCR's it seems lower
> these days.

Would that have something to do with the 50% chance to do no damage that
all but one of the small weapons have?

But I agree, swarms are very much less effective now.

One change I notice compared to a year or so back is the behavior of a pack
of ships.

It used to be the group of small ships stayed together. Previously when 15
small ships closed with a big ship the big ship would kill one to three, but
the others would all shoot, doing considerable damage to the big ship.

Now the group of small ships hang back. The big ship shoots at them and one
of the small ships (the one that is shot at I think) peels out of the group
and makes a run at the big ship. In any case the group no longer attacks as
a group, but runs at the big ship (or group of big ships) single file. Each
is destroyed before the next gets in range.

That makes a huge change in how effective they are.