Jun 13, 2011
Ok there, my problem is pretty weird.
Im running on:
Rampage III extreme
i7 960
2x4 Corsair XMS3
750W Seasonic PSU

my case is:
I built that PC and made it work b4 Christmas, played some games and then it kinda gone weird and after i reinstalled my Win 7 it started restarting on "windows flag" start up. And would do that till i kill the power.

I left it alone and now started building another system, so i bought another LGA1366 socket CPU. And this one is i7 940. I stick it in my Rampage III pc and im able to reinstall Windows and it itworks gr8 with all the previously injected hardware.
But as soon as i stick my other CPu (i7960) it restarts again not even letting me reinstall windows 7 (cause as soon as it gets to the "flag" boot screen it restarts)

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
Hi TimFUSE~
So what your saying is that when you insert the i7 960, you cant even boot into the screen.And most often it gets dies on the Windows Logo startup screen?
cpus rarely go bad.Have you tried reinstalling Windows OS when you are using the i7 960??

hilltopmonk

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Quick and easy test would to put linux on a USB stick and boot from that

If you get into the OS fine its your windows install causing weirdness. If you can't get into Linux then its likely the chip is damaged in some way.

Also, have you messed with the BIOS settings at all?

try resetting them to default if you have

timfuse

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011

Where would be a good place to get Linux?
i7 960 worked previously... and it was like a dream.
And no I cant reinstall Win7 cause it turns off when it gets to the flag logo. It restarts when i go to the useless repair option too....