Corsair Tx 750 for a radeon hd 6870

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Hello,
I am planning to upgrade my pc, and I was wondering if my corsair tx 750 (750watts) would be enough to handle two radeon hd 6870's in crossfire
My specs:
i7-950 @ 3.06ghz (stock clock)
6gb ram
Liquid cooling for cpu
evga x58 3sli
2 dvd drives
1 hard drive 1.5 tb
fan controller
6 fans Led
2 cold cathodes
and a wireless n adapter (pci)

My question is will i have enough power?
Also as said before i am going for 2 6870's, but the alternative to me would be a gtx 570.

Solution
For a system with two Radeon HD 6870 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode AMD recommends that the power supply have a minimum of 600 Watts with a minimum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 37 Amps or greater and with at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a single GeForce GTX 570 graphics card system NVIDIA recommends that the power supply have a minimum of 550 Watts with a minimum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and with at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Your Corsair Enthusiast Series CMPSU-750TXV2 (I'm assuming it's the V2) with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 62 Amps is more than enough to power your system...

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
I read that article, and i wasn't totally sure, since my case has quite a bit of extras that draw power. But if 700watts is enough, than mine should do fine.

Also would you suggest these cards (6870) in crossfire, or a single gtx 570.
I have heard about some issues with crossfire, and I was wondering are those fixed, do they apply to crossfire in general, or in most cases it seems to occur with eyefinity setups with multiple monitors. I plan to run 2 monitors only.

For a system with two Radeon HD 6870 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode AMD recommends that the power supply have a minimum of 600 Watts with a minimum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 37 Amps or greater and with at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a single GeForce GTX 570 graphics card system NVIDIA recommends that the power supply have a minimum of 550 Watts with a minimum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and with at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Your Corsair Enthusiast Series CMPSU-750TXV2 (I'm assuming it's the V2) with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 62 Amps is more than enough to power your system configuration with plenty in reserve for overclocking and adding more HDDs, SSDs, cooling fans, case lighting, expansion cards, etc.

The micro-stuttering issue you seem to be referring to can affect both CrossFireX and SLI configurations in single and multiple monitor configurations. It doesn't mean that the problem will definitely affect you. You may not encounter the problem at all.

The Radeon HD 6870 2-way CFX setup on average will be noticeably faster at high resolutions (i.e. above 1920x1200).

Solution

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
well, i have compared all the prices, and I think that I will go for a single gpu set up, and its gonna be a gtx 570 from asus (the direct cu ii) they are cool, and silent for only $10 more than the reference card. But i still have some time to decide, but its between the hd 6870's in crossfire or a gtx 570. So thanks a lot guys, for all of you who responded.