Sign in with
Your question

Need Motherboard and CPU help for home stream/nas/fileserver

Last response: in Systems
March 13, 2011 10:07:13 PM

hi
im looking for a solution to stream my hd movies and other stuff on my home system
thought about a nas and a small media player pc, but 1 seems enough...
so im going for a big tower atx with 10-14 hdds max.

question is which MB and pcu would you suggest for low power consumption?
i know it wont really be a low power thing with all the required hardware-just wanna keep MB/pcu/psu config just enough to handle the job of streaming a hd movie and handling some ftp/torrent/low website traffic in the background.

do i need an extra video card or could a onboard chip do the job?

also it should act as my raid server when im on the go and be capable of wake on lan (dont know anything about WOL...)

ive never had linux experience but seems to be more stable, but dont know if it can do all that i want-any OS suggestions?
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2011 1:54:41 PM

Hello kzabak;
You'll also need a MB able to handle all those HDDs. Thats a lot of SATA ports. You might need a PCI-e SATA port expansion card.

Have you set a budget for this project?
If you fill out the form in*How To Ask For New Build Advice* you'll get a good start to answering all the standard questions that help us get you started.
March 14, 2011 2:24:54 PM

yeah im aware of the need of a pci card
hmm budget-i still have some hd´s to start and other stuff, so id really need case, MB/CPU/PSU and maybe the pci card for sata hdds,raid compatible...

in comparison to a 7bay nas i was thinking about it should be a bit less, so maybe about 500€ should do the trick? the less the better, but i dont want to have any drawbacks concerning noise/power consumption/"the thing does what it should"

i will check that feature out later-still new to the forums on toms
Related resources
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
March 14, 2011 2:29:16 PM

kzabak said:
in comparison to a 7bay nas i was thinking about it should be a bit less, so maybe about 500€ should do the trick?
A 7 bay NAS was 500€? Got a link to the model?
March 14, 2011 3:35:57 PM

allnet 60800
i can get that for 700€ and stated that the new build should be around 500, a bit less than 700...
March 14, 2011 3:41:53 PM

not allowed to edit somehow, so ill add it here..

hi
im looking for a solution to stream my hd movies and other stuff on my home system
thought about a nas and a small media player pc, but 1 seems enough...
so im going for a big tower atx with 10-14 hdds max.

question is which MB and pcu would you suggest for low power consumption?
i know it wont really be a low power thing with all the required hardware-just wanna keep MB/pcu/psu config just enough to handle the job of streaming a hd movie and handling some ftp/torrent/low website traffic in the background.

do i need an extra video card or could a onboard chip do the job?

also it should act as my raid server when im on the go and be capable of wake on lan (dont know anything about WOL...)

ive never had linux experience but seems to be more stable, but dont know if it can do all that i want-any OS suggestions?

Approximate Purchase Date: next 6 weeks

Budget Range: around 500€

System Usage from Most to Least Important: stream hd content to fullhd screen,raid, general home media server, ftp/BT

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: alternate.de mostly... amazon, ebay maybe...

Country of Origin: germany

Parts Preferences: i always had intel chips..

Overclocking: if it makes sense.. but rather not

SLI or Crossfire: no

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments: set for low power/silent stable/"does what it should" setup
!