Virtual Reality image presentatons - software needed

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 10, 2005 12:17:03 AM

I want to photograph some art object from multiple angles and stitch the
photographs in a similar manner to the panorama stitching operation, but in
a more complex way so as to offer the viewer the capability to view the
object from any angle.

I would like to find some software (very preferably freeware) that can help
me make a virtual reality presentation of these art objects.
What I have in mind is the type where the viewer can use his mouse on the
picture area to manipulate the viewing angle to any portion of the object.

I imagine that this will involve photographing the object on a revolving
pedestal, and turning it a few degrees of rotation between each exposure.
That would give all the information from one axis. This could be extended to
the other axis by doing the same operation with the object at 60 degree
angles from the first. An example of the final result I am looking for can
be found on this Toyota website, although this example gives only one axis
of roation. Any help much appreciated.

http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects/WWW.woa/4/wo/Ho...
MBvSgAx5lwZcSffl89w/5.11?index%2ehtml

Choose 360 degree view from the navigation menu.

(By the way, that's my car, and I love it!)
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 12:20:51 AM

Please note on the previous post, both lines of the URL (also below) has to
be copied and pasted into your browser because it seems to want to wrap to a
second line, which then isn't included in the link.

http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObjects/WWW.woa/4/wo/Ho...
> MBvSgAx5lwZcSffl89w/5.11?index%2ehtml
>
> Choose 360 degree view from the navigation menu.
>
> (By the way, that's my car, and I love it!)

February 10, 2005 7:39:05 AM

The link is not really linkable but probably what they have is either a
'movie' or some sort with separate frames or possibly a 3D model but not
stitched like a panorama. Probably some way to control movie frames with
flash.

!