GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 or GA-990FXA-UD3 with FX-8150

Status
Not open for further replies.

mondrian

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I just got the AMD FX-8150, and was wondering what kind of performance difference would it be between the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 and the cheaper GA-970A-UD3? Would it really be worth it to spend the extra $40?
Thank you for your answers, much appreciated.

Solution
The difference between the two is not going to be performance. The higher end board supports 16x/16x crossfire and SLI while the 970 board doesn't otherwise the differences are down to the two Esata ports in the back of the 990FXA board and the extra PCI-Express ports. The 990FXA board may also have a better chance of a higher overclock but that is about it.

caqde

Distinguished
The difference between the two is not going to be performance. The higher end board supports 16x/16x crossfire and SLI while the 970 board doesn't otherwise the differences are down to the two Esata ports in the back of the 990FXA board and the extra PCI-Express ports. The 990FXA board may also have a better chance of a higher overclock but that is about it.

Solution

mondrian

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012

Thanks caqde.

That's kind of what I was thinking too. I'll just go with the cheaper one. I'll be using the computer mostly for video editing and 3d rendering/CAD work, not really for games. FX-8150s have been getting pretty good feedback when it comes to that. I'm not overclocking anything at this point in time either. I was just worried about the motherboard slowing things down when it comes to rendering and overall performance since GA-970A-UD3 fsb is lower. But, I'm not really sure how all that stuff works anymore, I haven't put a computer together since the P4 days, just been using laptops.

Status
Not open for further replies.