HD 4870x2's Crossfire

heavy_metal

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
I have been having serious issues with my cards lately, I could use some advice. I have 2 4870x2's in quad-fire, I have had constant crashes, started with Borderlands, and latest is with Battlefield Bad Company 2. It started with driver crashes with 10.11, so I switched to 10.12 and that worked great for a few days no crashes or blue screens, every blue screen has had atikmpag.sys as the cause. So I decided to reinstall windows, after it got so bad my computer would blue screen on start with this error. After reinstalling windows 7 with ati driver 10.12 they worked great again for a few days and now when I play anything besides COD Black Ops, or COD MW2, my computer crashes. I should have enough power to handle them, and I am really starting to run out of Ideas. When It freezes sounds continues, video card fans go to 100%, I am using MSI after burner for fan Control and monitoring of temps they hardly go past 70-75C at load, gpu usage on these games is typical 60-100% across all gpu's, in Black Ops they will run at 100% usage across all 4 no problems for hours, but in BC2 it will freeze in minutes at 75% usage in loading screens as well. If anyone could help that would be great. I posted this here because I believe it to be video card related.

Specs:

Core i7 920 3.5 Ghz
6 Gb Gkill 1333mhz RAM
30gb ssd OS
1Tb Games Drive
1.5Tb Storage
1Tb Storage
Cooler Master HAF X
Corsair 850 TX
A 450 Watt 5.25in Power Supply Powering One Card
Asus P6t Deluxe

Solution
It could be that one of the cards is cooked. I had similar symptoms with my pair of 4870x2s and it completely vanished after removing one of the two cards. Of course, that does make you lose some performance...
It could be that one of the cards is cooked. I had similar symptoms with my pair of 4870x2s and it completely vanished after removing one of the two cards. Of course, that does make you lose some performance...

Solution

heavy_metal

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
So I Tried both cards seperately and individually they work well, so I am thinking that I should just run one and use other one for nothing or watching a movie or something seems like a waste, but I can't seem to figure out the issue.

mista

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Try rolling back to different drivers. Mine would do the same and i read around that if u roll back on some drivers...Should find a solution!!
Oh and it worked for me.....using 10.5 ATI driver
Good Luck