GPU Chosing HELP?!? PSU?!?

Hello,
I am planning to upgrade my pc, and I was wondering if my Corsair tx 750 (750watts) would be enough to handle two radeon hd 6870's in crossfire
My specs:
i7-950 @ 3.06ghz (stock clock)
6gb ram
Liquid cooling for cpu
evga x58 3sli
2 dvd drives
1 hard drive 1.5 tb
fan controller
6 fans Led
2 cold cathodes
and a wireless n adapter (pci)

My question is will i have enough power?
Also as said before i am going for 2 6870's, but the alternative to me would be a gtx 570.
Also what is better 2 6870s (faster) or gtx 570.
I ask this because i know there are some multiple gpu issues out there, anything i should worry about.
22 answers Last reply
More about chosing help
  1. corsair 750TX enough power for 6850 CF and At that price obviously 6870 CF
  2. Hi!

As you mentioned you have Corsair tx 750,its adequate for a single AMD 6870.

-6870 or 570?
    Its depends upon your essentials.AMD's 6870 give better and high performance as compare to nVIDIA 570.But during gaming i think no measurable difference would be occur.
    According to me if you have or plan to buy a 3D monitor then you must go with nVIDIA because its 3D vision is nice and you can get number of great vendors for a 3D monitor.

Single or Multi-GPU?

I recommend single GPU as multiple GPU because single GPU have low noise,low tempt. and low maintenance.There are single high performance GPUs is available like 6970,590 but with extra cost.So if you want to switch in single or multiple GPU then you must consider your performance need and budget.
  3. @vishal s

so what you are saying is that 750w is or is not enough to power my rig?
    Cause with 1200watts you can power 2 gtx 580s, and I am sure its overkill for 2 6870's
  4. also i just got a 750w i am not planning to change it
  5. fil1p said:
    @vishal s

so what you are saying is that 750w is or is not enough to power my rig?
    Cause with 1200watts you can power 2 gtx 580s, and I am sure its overkill for 2 6870's

Yes,750 is sufficient for your 6870.
  6. Thanks, but for 2 graphic cards its also enough right? My budget sadly isn't large enough for a bigger psu :(
  7. hi vishal you must read this PSU needed for 6870CF power consumption :
    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1445/17/
  8. it seems that @ 449watts (i believe thats system load) the 6870 in crossfire can be used with my 750w system.
  9. yep .. very enough minimum need PSU 650W for 6870CF
  10. the manufacture specifies that only 600 watts (as i remember) is required, but they are estimating the bare minimum. So if 650 is enough that that extra 100 watts will be enough, even for my rig with all the add ons.

Thanks
  11. Your 750 is enough to crossfire two 6870's no worries. It will draw somewhere around 600w (rough guess could be a bit less) while under heavy load gaming.
  12. yep 750watts is more than enough. the total draw will be around 470watts as the ati cards are pretty green when it comes to power consomption compared to nvidia 1s of a similar gfx performance.
    absolutely no need for a 1200 watt psu. you only need that kind of power when you run a tri sli 580 setup even then your only gonna use 700 or so watts of the 1200 available. but it means your psu will run efficiently.

i suggest members like vishal s, check there answers b4 replying to avoid confusion in future.
  13. vishal, you are still giving FUD. If a 750 watt PSU is 80% efficient, it will still give 750 watts, but it will take 900 watts out of the wall.

Plus.. GTX570 and HD6970 will run neck to neck, contrary to the statement you have posted.
  14. @ Vishal s
    I am asking people for power supply advice, because i want to know if my PSU will suffice. I am not sure about power draw, but I do know about PSU's. One thing I can tell you is that efficiency is not what you think it is. Lets say you have a 1000watt power supply, that is 80% efficient. That means that it will produce 1000watts for your pc, but it will draw 1200watts from the wall at full load. 80% efficiency means that a power supply converts electricity at an efficiency of 80%, with 20% of energy being wasted in heat. So a 1000watt psu will produce 1000watts at full load, but it will user 1200 from the wall socket.
  15. fil1p said:
    @ Vishal s
    I am asking people for power supply advice, because i want to know if my PSU will suffice. I am not sure about power draw, but I do know about PSU's. One thing I can tell you is that efficiency is not what you think it is. Lets say you have a 1000watt power supply, that is 80% efficient. That means that it will produce 1000watts for your pc, but it will draw 1200watts from the wall at full load. 80% efficiency means that a power supply converts electricity at an efficiency of 80%, with 20% of energy being wasted in heat. So a 1000watt psu will produce 1000watts at full load, but it will user 1200 from the wall socket.
  16. Read standard efficiency PSU categori : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_PLUS

and this data all corsair PSU certified : http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSuppliesDetail.aspx?id=25&type=2
  17. Thank you fil1p for this good contribution about efficiency of a PSU.I have refined my search and clear my confusion about efficiency of PSU.

And i apologize for this wrong advice.
  18. henydiah said:
    Read standard efficiency PSU categori : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_PLUS

and this data all corsair PSU certified : http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSuppliesDetail.aspx?id=25&type=2

Thanks!
    I have read it and understand what is exact mean of efficiency.

Thanks!
  19. No problem, we all get confused :)
  20. Also, I have one remaining question,
    will my i7-950 @ a stock speed of 3.06 ghz (hyperthreading enabled, turbo boost enabled, and all the other stock features)
    So back to my question, will my i7 be able to handle two 6870s in crossfire (i know it can) but will there be any reduced performance, if yes how much? I am not willing to overclock my cpu.
  21. what a mean is if there will be a cpu bottleneck?
  22. i7-950 with 6870CF no bottleneck
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components