deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Hello All,

I am an incremental upgrader--so this is only a partial rebuild. It is, however, my first time starting from scratch with CPU/Mobo -- until now I have been upgrading prebuilts.

I think I have a pretty good idea of what I need, but would welcome any feedback/advice in addition to my questions.

Thanks in advance!

Approximate Purchase Date: Probably as soon as the Asus P67 PRO is reactivated on Newegg.
Budget Range: Flexible--willing to pay for measurable increase in quality.
System Usage: CPU intensive gaming(mostly starcraft II, civ 5), home media manager, something to brag about, etc.
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg/microcenter (USA-VA)
Parts Preferences: see below
Overclocking: Maybe--but not right away.
Crossfire: Maybe dual 5770s (i already have one)
Monitor Resolution: currently a crappy 1440x990 and a 720p TV but will upgrade 3-4 months after mobo.

Additional Comments:
My priorities are 1) reliability/quality 2) longevity for upgrading. I would rather buy very good parts one at a time than go cheaper and get it all now.

Parts I will reuse from current build:
-Seasonic 650X GOLD PSU
-HIS 5770 1 gb
-Antec 300 Illusion mid-tower case
-DVD burner, 5 hard drives, airport extreme router, fans, all cables, etc.

Ideal plans for this upgrade:
CPU: Core i5 2500K LGA 1155 Boxed Processor (btw for other builders $179 from microcenter = fantastic deal)

MOBO: ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard (does anyone know why NEWEGG has this "deactivated"?!! the others are only "out of stock" -- and I had settled on this model from the Asus website...)

■Reasons I chose this: 1) the many Asus-specific features that will help a relatively inexperienced overclocker (as outlined in the very good review by Anand) 2) I liked the ability to crossfire and still have a PCIe x16 2.0 for an SSD or other card. 3) Also .. as silly as it is -- having bluetooth motherboard control from my iphone seems really cool. If it doesn't come available I may have to bump to a different model. Advice is welcome on this point.

MEMORY: (I am a noob when it comes to memory--advice may be needed here. I picked 2x4gb chips to give me more upgrade room)
currently leaning toward: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM (i am finally ditching vista! -- can anyone think of a worthwhile reason for an average user to get professional or ultimate?)

Plans for my next upgrade: I know i need these items to balance the system, but would rather spread the expense (and excitement) out a little bit. I'll buy these over the next 6mo as I see good sales.
-1900x1080 or larger LED monitor
-A second 5770 for Xfire (if they get cheap enough)
-SSD boot drive

Thanks again for any feedback.

p.s. I spent time writing all this out, please only respond if you have taken the time to read my info.

Solution

RAM has zero effect on over clocking in regards to these 1155 mobo's. That G.Skill you chose is an excellent choice imo. Low voltage (1.5v) and it's solid.
All the 1155 boards were recalled a month after they hit the market. They are now finally starting to get back on the shelves...slowly but surely.

That memory you have up there will do just fine. Low voltage memory (1.5v or even less) is what's recommended for these boards. All the 1155 boards should be back out on the market within the next two weeks. :)

RAM has zero effect on over clocking in regards to these 1155 mobo's. That G.Skill you chose is an excellent choice imo. Low voltage (1.5v) and it's solid.

Solution