Closed Solved

Are the Radeon 6850/70 cards

Are the Radeon 6850/70 cards backwards compatable with PCIexpress x16 version 1 motherboards? According to AMDs website is only says it requires on PCIe x16 socket but does not say what version. Also what performace hit will I get by only using PCIe 1.0 . I dont have enough to invest in a completely new system as I am running an athlon 64 x2 6000+, now with 3gb ram, 1tb HD, radeon 3870 512mb, 650watt Coolermaster PS. This is a modified Gateway unit. Later I will put together a new unit but in this economy money is tight and the new CPUs and MBs are to be released soon so some prioces should drop.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about radeon 6850 cards
  1. Yes, they are.Just make sure that you have your BIOS updated to the latest version.
  2. Thank you for the response on the PCIe that helps a lot.

How much will the lower PCIe 1.0 limit the performance of the card or will my cpu be a more limiting factor?

As I read in a post the PCIe 2.1 cards running in PCIe 1.0 MB's can have compatability issues and that a bios update was recomended... is that a MB bios update or the GPU Bios ? I cant update the bios of the MB as it is a Gateway and they dont have any newer versions than the one I am running. Also if there is a compatability issue how will I be able to update the bios of the GPU ( if that is the case ) if I cant access or use the card?

zente
  3. Best answer
    It's a mobo BIOS upgrade; if there is one available for the specific mobo.

Don't feel too bad, I too cannot install a HD 6xxx series card in my Abit IP35 Pro mobo since it only has a PCI-e 1.0 slot and their last BIOS update was back in mid 2008. I have a HD 5850 (PCI-e 2.0 of course) in my rig.
  4. Best answer selected by zente.
  5. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Motherboards Graphics