Solved

Buy new PC or upgrade 4G 800hz RAM to 8GB DDR3-1066MHz for Core2 Duo CPU T6600@2

I'm starting to do a lot of multi-tasking including Esri ArcGIS/Google map-making, some SPSS stats-crunching, and using Dragon Naturally Speaking dictation software to write MS Office docs while also web-surfing for info.

My Toshiba 505-A680 laptop (2 Duo CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz) has worked well thus far but is having trouble handling so many processor/RAM-intensive programs at once. Given that I'm on a budget, I'm debating whether I should upgrade the RAM or buy a new desktop for dedicated multimedia work since I already have all the peripherals (e.g., big screen). If I upgrade the RAM of my laptop from 4G RAM DDR2-800hz to 8GB DDR3-1066MHz will I see a big difference in performance? Or I am just setting myself up to have to buy a desktop in 6 months anyway? I'm currently looking through relevant forum threads, but if you think I should buy a desktop, do you have any suggestions regarding specs to look for, especially for less than $1,000?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade 800hz ddr3 1066mhz core2 t6600
  1. Best answer
    you cant upgrade ddr2 to ddr3, they have different slots. upgrading to 8gb wont see you much performance anyway.
  2. Thanks for the quick reply. I now remember reading that you can't go from ddr2 to ddr3 but obviously forgot amidst the amazing amount of info in the forums. Thanks again!
  3. Best answer selected by FuQiang.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs RAM