Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Electrical problem, wont start up

Last response: in Components
June 14, 2011 3:05:32 AM

Was playing with a cord and an exposed wire arched to my hand and the computer shut off. Computer wont turn back on. What should i troubleshoot first to find the problem? What is likely to be broken or fried?
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2011 3:10:56 AM

If it had a short circuit your power supply could be fried, but what wire did you touch, if it is something major, and it had a short, you may have fried it. Or some sort of safety device could have shut it off. But where did you touch the wire, from your power supply?
m
l
June 14, 2011 3:22:15 AM

it was just a USB cable for recharging my wireless headset plugged into the motherboard.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2011 3:40:13 AM

So it was outside the case, thats strange? what type of power supply do you have?
m
l
June 14, 2011 5:02:16 AM

idk the exact model or anything but its an antec or maybe aztec, what does it really matter its probaly a pretty generic problem im assuming?
Edit : yes it was outside the case ( the cord was broken on the inside and i was trying to tweak so it worked ) i touched the wire it arced and instantly the computer shut off. and i couldnt get it back turned on.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2011 5:09:45 AM

very little outside the psu has voltage protection so you could have damaged quite a bit. starting with the motherboard, possibale damage to the cpu and may have tripped the psu.
unplug the pc from the wall and let all residual current dissipate. this can take a few mins to a few hours depending on your system.

check the wall plug fuse to make sure it hasnt gone.
remove all peripherals in the usb sockets including mice and keyboards. and try powering on again. if your lucky you may have just burnt out a usb controller, if your not then you will need to test the components in another system and hope its just the motherboard that took the brunt of it.
a b ) Power supply
June 14, 2011 4:55:12 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong - You were "playing" with the USB cord and got zapped. Or did you get zapped from the AC cord to the Computer PSU??

There should be NO voltage on the USB cable that would Zap you. Max voltage on usb cable is 5 V.
Only 2 ways to get a zap here:
(1) most likely - it did not zap you, you zapped it, ESD. To feel it it would have been very high, posibly 1,000 V. This could have damaged your MB output circuits for the USB ports.
(2) VERY UNLIKELY - a short on the MB that put a High voltage (> 60 V) on the Usb cable. Reason very unlikely is that make voltage on the MB is +12 V - Which you would never feel!! ONly way is if PSU first fried your MB (But it was on befor ZAP) because PSU whas outputing the AC onto the 5 V line.
m
l
June 14, 2011 11:20:34 PM

RetiredChief said:
Correct me if I'm wrong - You were "playing" with the USB cord and got zapped. Or did you get zapped from the AC cord to the Computer PSU??

There should be NO voltage on the USB cable that would Zap you. Max voltage on usb cable is 5 V.
Only 2 ways to get a zap here:
(1) most likely - it did not zap you, you zapped it, ESD. To feel it it would have been very high, posibly 1,000 V. This could have damaged your MB output circuits for the USB ports.
(2) VERY UNLIKELY - a short on the MB that put a High voltage (> 60 V) on the Usb cable. Reason very unlikely is that make voltage on the MB is +12 V - Which you would never feel!! ONly way is if PSU first fried your MB (But it was on befor ZAP) because PSU whas outputing the AC onto the 5 V line.

the only way i can think of to describe it is that it zapped me, but its weird because ive done this with many other wires (where you can actually see the copper wires) but it never happened and i could touch it with no problem. what do you mean i zapped it? like with static?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 15, 2011 2:18:27 AM

Yes, If it was the USB cable. You built up a charge and it found a phat to discharge when you touched the bare wire.
m
l
June 15, 2011 6:18:15 AM

found out some more stuff pertaining to the situation; if i plug in the cord to the PSU flip the PSU switch try to turn the computer on using the on/off button it doesnt do anything but then when i switch the PSU off the LED fans light up for a second . so to clarify i turn on PSU attempt to start comp Turn off PSU and get a brief second of light from the LED fans, hope this helps furthers
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 15, 2011 12:03:31 PM

The First thing I would do is to stare with a bare bones system and see if you can at least get the computer to boot to the Bios.
(1) remove/disconnect (A) all usb devices except keyboard (B) disconnect all Drives (HDDs and DVD drives).
....Power on and see if the computer comes on and you can get to the BIOS. If you can then add back components removed one at a time and retry.
... Still no go. Remove all memory except one stick, reseat the one stick of ram and reset all power connectors to the MB and GPU unit and retry.
... Still no go, then it is the GPU, MB, or PSU. The PSU could be swapped out to verify it, the GPU could be swapped out. Swapping these two depends on what you have laying around as spare or if you can barrow from a frend. This would boil down to the MB - which is what I feel you have damaged.

m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 18, 2011 4:25:03 AM

before you do any kind of upgrades, or anything on a pc, you always touch the case to ground yourself, the little amount of static electricity on your hand, can fry a cpu or other parts on a motherboard, since a lot of things (like a cpu) will fry at 2v (cpus take about 1.1-1.4v)
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 18, 2011 4:28:36 AM

check if your psu is properly working, plug in a psu from another pc, and as RetiredChief said, unplug unnecessary items.
ALSO DO NOT TRY AND DISASSEMBLE A PSU YOU CAN GET SHOCKED IF NOT CAREFULL
m
l
June 19, 2011 5:55:59 PM

Best answer selected by arlucian.
m
l
June 19, 2011 5:57:00 PM

HEXiT said:
very little outside the psu has voltage protection so you could have damaged quite a bit. starting with the motherboard, possibale damage to the cpu and may have tripped the psu.
unplug the pc from the wall and let all residual current dissipate. this can take a few mins to a few hours depending on your system.

check the wall plug fuse to make sure it hasnt gone.
remove all peripherals in the usb sockets including mice and keyboards. and try powering on again. if your lucky you may have just burnt out a usb controller, if your not then you will need to test the components in another system and hope its just the motherboard that took the brunt of it.

im pretty sure this worked, i left it alone for 3 days and when i was back it started again weird stuff. Thanks to everyone for helping.
m
l
!