Acer Travelmate, Recovery process

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 9, 2005 1:55:12 PM

I'll turn to the experts that seem to have lots of good ideas here :-)

Short version, the factory HD is set up with two partitions, the
second containing image data for recovery purposes. It also uses up a
lot of space.

Being greedy, I managed to delete that partition and re-installed
WinXP on a single partition, using close to the 30GB of available
space. Then I discovered several drivers for onboard hardware (modem
and IR port for sure) weren't available.

I then used the Acer Recovery CDs to return the unit to factory specs.
Oops!! No second partition was created, no image files installed.
Back to the WinXP CD, I started the install process and partitioned
the drive, 20/10, then ran the factory CDs again. Same problem, no
image files installed but the HD has two partitions.

Does anyone have suggestions, or solutions, for getting me back to
factory specs? Acer Support told me to run the Recovery CDs but that
doesn't seem to be doing to trick.

Thanks in advance for workable solutions.
April 10, 2005 12:22:10 AM

I also removed/deleted the Acer partition to make more room.

Several months later I had to do a complete reinstall for other reasons and
accepted the default options on the recovery cds. Oddly, the Acer partition
didn't show when system restored. Just one large partition, everything works
fine.

With my Acer Travelmate I received an Acer boot/system disc which gets used
first, and after that two Acer recovery cds.

Mike.
"Newtokia" <newtokia@rogers.com> wrote in message
> I'll turn to the experts that seem to have lots of good ideas here :-)
>
> Short version, the factory HD is set up with two partitions, the
> second containing image data for recovery purposes. It also uses up a
> lot of space.
>
> Being greedy, I managed to delete that partition and re-installed
> WinXP on a single partition, using close to the 30GB of available
> space. Then I discovered several drivers for onboard hardware (modem
> and IR port for sure) weren't available.
>
> I then used the Acer Recovery CDs to return the unit to factory specs.
> Oops!! No second partition was created, no image files installed.
> Back to the WinXP CD, I started the install process and partitioned
> the drive, 20/10, then ran the factory CDs again. Same problem, no
> image files installed but the HD has two partitions.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions, or solutions, for getting me back to
> factory specs? Acer Support told me to run the Recovery CDs but that
> doesn't seem to be doing to trick.
>
> Thanks in advance for workable solutions.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 10, 2005 12:22:11 AM

"Mike" <__@__.com> wrote in message

> accepted the default options on the recovery cds. Oddly, the Acer
> partition
> didn't show when system restored. Just one large partition,
> everything works
> fine.
>
> With my Acer Travelmate I received an Acer boot/system disc which
> gets used
> first, and after that two Acer recovery cds.

Thanks, Mike. I had the same experience with the Acer recovery
process loading everything onto one partition and things did work
alright. I went the extra distance to generate the 'requred' second
partition, repeated the recovery process and it came up blank.

I guess I'll just use that second partition as safe haven for data
storage and work with the 20/10 split. If the OS does go down in
flames, I can re-install the system and not lose too much in the
process.
!