Sign in with
Your question

No signal

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 9, 2011 11:28:58 AM

hi guys.. can anyone help me please, because i dont know the problem of my computer, i'm using a dual booting of winxp and win7. when i turn it on, my monitor says, "no signal", but my pc is still working fine, it boot continously, then after the loading of o.s. and enter to windows (in useraccount point) my monitor will work fine, so i can still use my computer. but i'm wondering if what is the problem, because thats is not normal in starting your computer. Please help me guys. Thank you..

More about : signal

a b U Graphics card
January 9, 2011 1:16:19 PM

When you first boot the computer try hitting F2 or F12 a lot to access the boot menu or BIOS, however if you boot in and there's still an issue it could either be a motherboard or card issue. What cable are you using to connect your mointor (VGA, DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort)?
m
l
January 10, 2011 10:17:17 AM

mister g said:
When you first boot the computer try hitting F2 or F12 a lot to access the boot menu or BIOS, however if you boot in and there's still an issue it could either be a motherboard or card issue. What cable are you using to connect your mointor (VGA, DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort)?

i tried it, but still no signal on my monitor, but even i cant see that, i know that when i press f2, i've entered to bios, because my computer did not continuing to load the o.s.. i am using a VGA connector, my monitor is LCD.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 10:50:05 AM

Okay what kind of graphics chip do you have in your system, because I would recommend going to the vendor's site and downloading both the XP and 7 drivers and try again from there.
m
l
January 10, 2011 11:25:30 AM

mister g said:
Okay what kind of graphics chip do you have in your system, because I would recommend going to the vendor's site and downloading both the XP and 7 drivers and try again from there.

*smacks forehead* How is he going to install drivers if he can't boot the machine?

Moving forward, make sure that your graphics card is seated properly in it's slot and that the monitor cable is firmly connected properly on both ends. Also make sure that any auxillary power cables that go to the graphics card (if there are any) are also firmly connected to the card. No connector should be open on your GFX card. If there is an LED on the back of the graphics card (on the metal panel facing the rear of the machine), make sure this is lit green. If red, it's dead. If it's green, try a different graphics card if one is available. You can pick up a cheap one on Craigslist or the like for $20 if you can't find one. If that doesn't work, and your motherboard has integrated graphics, plug the monitor into the motherboard's display connector with the graphics card removed. If that doesn't work, you likely have a bad motherboard or possibly PSU, but my money's on the mobo. It's nearly a 100% certainty if your onboard graphics doesn't work that it's a PSU. If no onboard GPU, though, it could be either.

I don't intend to be rude but please don't listen to the guy above me. I have years of professional experience in the IT field and can guarantee you that nothing I instruct you to do will result in damage to your system or running around in circles.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 11:49:37 AM

The OP can still boot, it's just that the Windows loading screen and BIOS screen won't show up because there was no video output to the monitor at that time or there was a problem with the screen.
m
l
January 10, 2011 11:58:52 AM

mister g said:
The OP can still boot, it's just that the Windows loading screen and BIOS screen won't show up because there was no video output to the monitor at that time or there was a problem with the screen.

You're exactly right and I apologize for the misunderstanding. Please disregard my original post. It's early yet and I haven't finished my second cup of coffee this Monday morning. ;) 

However, drivers won't work here either as display drivers do not load until the machine is actually booted into Windows.

It sounds like you're running an LCD TV as a monitor. If this is the case, you may not always see POST screens, etc because TVs have a much more limited range of supported resolutions than actual monitors. Even then, some monitors do not display some of the non-standard resolutions that some BIOSs can produce at startup. Mine, for example, displays in 720x480 at startup, switches to 1024x768 (standard) for the RAID menu, then back to 720x480 for the remainder of the boot process.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 10, 2011 12:02:03 PM

Could a video card BIOS flash fix this, I'd assume so because i would be freaking out if my primary display wouldn't display the BIOS. Hey j22 does the LCD support DVI or HDMI inputs?
m
l
January 10, 2011 12:07:00 PM

That could fix it, although I think a mobo BIOS flash might be the first step if we were to go that far. But, I don't think we need to resort to that extreme of methods yet. Can you verify that the monitor is plugged into the port closest to the motherboard? Sometimes this will also have a bearing on how the system behaves at startup.
m
l
January 11, 2011 10:05:02 AM

mister g said:
Could a video card BIOS flash fix this, I'd assume so because i would be freaking out if my primary display wouldn't display the BIOS. Hey j22 does the LCD support DVI or HDMI inputs?

chip type : NVDIA GeForce 8400GS
it display at mode 1280 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
my LCD support DVI inputs and my videocard is upgraded at 1GB
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 12, 2011 12:25:56 AM

Go to the your graphics card vendor (MSI, Asus, etc) website and try to look for any updates they might have for it. Then go to your motherboard maker's website and download the BIOS for that.
m
l
!