Always been confused about this (Comp Case question)

hyped1337

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
I know how to build a computer 95%.. I just don't understand how to buy a Case (tower) that is compatible with my motherboard.. I know about size and all that (dimensions and install) How do I physically connect the Motherboard to the case
(so I can power on and use usb and jacks)

Also if you can help me find a case that would be great..

Current Motherboard: 0RY007 (Micro)

Current Rig - Dell Inspiron 530s
(I have replaced all bat parts (CPU, Video, Power etc)

Thanks all this site always answers any questions I have :)

Buying a case is easy unless you are looking for some very specific features. Primarily it is just about fitting the motherboard. If you know your motherboard's dimensions (mATX or ATX or E-ATX) then all you need to do is find a case which mentions compatible to it, looks good to you while fitting in your budget. Any mid tower case available will easily fit your rig.

I've always thought of Rosewill as more on the low end but that case looks really good.You can tell when they made it right when they paint the inside.That case will fit both mATX and regular ATX so you shouldn't have any problems with compatibility.Only downside of that case is that it's not very wide so i'm betting with that side 190mm fan in place you won't be able to mount some of the higher end aftermarket CPU coolers.

To physically connect the mobo to the case their are risers that come up from the case.Their's screw holes on the mobo and you line those up with the risers on the case then screw it in,but be gentel it doesn't need to be tight but just snug.They will provide screws and risers with the mobo or case.

Dell didn't use a replaceable/removable I/O shield for the Dell Inspiron 530s' case. The holes for the ports are punched through the case itself as this is cheaper for mass production than having to get separate I/O shields made and then installed onto the case. The holes are always in the same location anyway because they all use the same motherboard.

If you need to customize an I/O shield you can probably cut the old case up and fashion one.

That's what I was afraid of.. :( I/O shields come with the motherboard, NOT the case, so he will have an issue if he is just replacing the case...

TRENDING THREADS