Low sound volume on Toshiba

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 9, 2005 12:54:05 PM

I have bought Toshiba Satellite A80-129 laptop few days ago. I decided
to install Win XP Prof. instead of Win XP Home, which came with the
laptop. After I installed all sorts of software I noticed something
wierd. Namely sound was quite low.

I checked all sorts of possible settings of volume everywhere and it
is set to max everywhere possible. Also I've checked the volume wheel
on laptop and it is also turned to max. I have installed WM Player 10,
RealPlayer, Quicktime and Winamp 5.08.

After playing some of my music I stumbled on something interesting.
While I was playing my music in Winamp, I have also played one small
video file in WM Player 10 and voila sound was realy loud. Immediately
I looked which audio codec is used in this video file and it is WMA 9
(64kbps,48kHz stereo, (A/V) 1-pass CBR). When I stop playing this
video, sound volume drops again.

I also tried sound in other software like RealPlayer and Quicktime and
only after I play this video file sound gets realy loud in all
players. Any suggestions???

I would realy appreciate an answer.

Best regards, Jule
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 9, 2005 5:06:13 PM

On 9 Apr 2005 08:54:05 -0700, genijalc@gmail.com (Jule) wrote:

>I have bought Toshiba Satellite A80-129 laptop few days ago. I decided
>to install Win XP Prof. instead of Win XP Home, which came with the
>laptop. After I installed all sorts of software I noticed something
>wierd. Namely sound was quite low.
>
>I checked all sorts of possible settings of volume everywhere and it
>is set to max everywhere possible. Also I've checked the volume wheel
>on laptop and it is also turned to max. I have installed WM Player 10,
>RealPlayer, Quicktime and Winamp 5.08.
>
>After playing some of my music I stumbled on something interesting.
>While I was playing my music in Winamp, I have also played one small
>video file in WM Player 10 and voila sound was realy loud. Immediately
>I looked which audio codec is used in this video file and it is WMA 9
>(64kbps,48kHz stereo, (A/V) 1-pass CBR). When I stop playing this
>video, sound volume drops again.
>
>I also tried sound in other software like RealPlayer and Quicktime and
>only after I play this video file sound gets realy loud in all
>players. Any suggestions???
>
>I would realy appreciate an answer.
>
>Best regards, Jule

The slider at the bottom of those players controls a slider that you
can get to from the speaker icon in the toolbar. Right click the
speaker and choose "open audio control". All of the slider bars
available are not shown by default. So go to top- options-
properties- and check all boxes. One of those is down untill you open
a player and the players slider moves that bar up. Most likely the
"wave" slider.

---------
AJ
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 10, 2005 8:20:54 AM

AndrewJ <ajpk3@hotmail.comremove> wrote in message news:<8i2g51hau4t9kpimd5rrfulvd60vn1439t@4ax.com>...
> On 9 Apr 2005 08:54:05 -0700, genijalc@gmail.com (Jule) wrote:
>
> >I have bought Toshiba Satellite A80-129 laptop few days ago. I decided
> >to install Win XP Prof. instead of Win XP Home, which came with the
> >laptop. After I installed all sorts of software I noticed something
> >wierd. Namely sound was quite low.
> >
> >I checked all sorts of possible settings of volume everywhere and it
> >is set to max everywhere possible. Also I've checked the volume wheel
> >on laptop and it is also turned to max. I have installed WM Player 10,
> >RealPlayer, Quicktime and Winamp 5.08.
> >
> >After playing some of my music I stumbled on something interesting.
> >While I was playing my music in Winamp, I have also played one small
> >video file in WM Player 10 and voila sound was realy loud. Immediately
> >I looked which audio codec is used in this video file and it is WMA 9
> >(64kbps,48kHz stereo, (A/V) 1-pass CBR). When I stop playing this
> >video, sound volume drops again.
> >
> >I also tried sound in other software like RealPlayer and Quicktime and
> >only after I play this video file sound gets realy loud in all
> >players. Any suggestions???
> >
> >I would realy appreciate an answer.
> >
> >Best regards, Jule
>
> The slider at the bottom of those players controls a slider that you
> can get to from the speaker icon in the toolbar. Right click the
> speaker and choose "open audio control". All of the slider bars
> available are not shown by default. So go to top- options-
> properties- and check all boxes. One of those is down untill you open
> a player and the players slider moves that bar up. Most likely the
> "wave" slider.
>
> ---------
> AJ

Thanks for your answer, but I have to disappoint you, cause I've done
that too and all the sliders are set for each of components to the
max. So wave slider is also set to the max and I still get low sound.
I think it has to do something with codec, but I don't know what.

So thanks anyway.

Best regards, Jule
a b D Laptop
February 28, 2010 6:48:01 PM

I downloaded an updated driver to the sound card for the Toshiba satellite from this link:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/mod...

and after installing the new driver, i went to CONTROL PANEL and then clicked on HARDWARE AND SOUND and clicked on SMART AUDIO and adjusted all the settings on all of the tabs.

MY LAPTOP IS NOW LOUD! :D

HOPE IT WORKS FOR YOU.
February 28, 2010 10:37:13 PM

Yeah.. I was about to suggest you reinstall your drivers to make sure they're the proper ones for your system.
!